What in the world is on my palys?!?

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a colony of nuclear green Palythoas, and as I was observing my tank just now, I noticed these weird purple patches. Does anyone have any idea what they could be? They look like the actual paly is turning purple, and they do not blow off. I have had these palys for 9 months, and have never seen them do anything like this.
(And the purple tint over the 3rd and 4th photos is the effect of a filter. I posted them because the shade of the purple spots is more accurate to real life.)
IMG_2524.jpeg IMG_2523.jpeg IMG_2526.jpeg IMG_2525.jpeg

Last edited:

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. The last pic at 11:00 on the disc some of the rays look flattened and necrotic. It’s hard to tell in the pics though.

OP
OP
SnazzyUrchin792

SnazzyUrchin792

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be hard to tell from the picture below, but the stalk and rays of some of them are turning the same shade. If it is unhealthy/experiencing STN, what could cause it? The only changes I’ve made recently are raising alk, lowering phosphate after a massive spike, and slightly changing flow. All other corals and a RFA are happy.
Edit: just remembered I’ve recently seen an increase in asterina/pod activity on their rock. Could this have anything to do with it?

IMG_2551.jpeg IMG_2548.jpeg

Rallic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a colony of nuclear green Palythoas, and as I was observing my tank just now, I noticed these weird purple patches. Does anyone have any idea what they could be? They look like the actual paly is turning purple, and they do not blow off. I have had these palys for 9 months, and have never seen them do anything like this.
(And the purple tint over the 3rd and 4th photos is the effect of a filter. I posted them because the shade of the purple spots is more accurate to real life.)
IMG_2524.jpeg IMG_2523.jpeg IMG_2526.jpeg IMG_2525.jpeg
could the purple really be dark green and the lights are making it look purple? it looks like bubble to me

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back