What is growing on my candy cane

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started adding a few corals to my tank. I dipped all of them in bayer and then hydrogen peroxide. There looks like something growing out of my candy cane. I'm new to this but from what I understand, this isn't how new heads form. They kinda look like what I envision little featherduster looking like, but I dipped them in bayer.

I have added a few things before snails and after that weren't dipped, so, I guess it could be anything, but they specifically are growing on the candy cane. One of them on the back side is so long that it has reached the rock

20230203_195232.jpg Screenshot_20230204_093453_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• 20230204_094848.mp4
    17.7 MB
Last edited:

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it that the bayer didn't kill then because they were eggs? Should I pull the coral out and dip it in bayer again?

I added a video, btw
Dips don’t kill them because they have a trap door they can shut at the first sign of danger and isolate themselves from it. It’s better to remove and crush them out of the tank and rinse the frag off well before returning to main tank, Incase there are eggs. You can dip again if it makes you feel a lil more at ease. For the most part they’re harmless but their mucous net can annoy corals and, they spread fast.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dabbing super glue on the ends of the tubes also works. Keeps them from casting their net and feeding.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it that the bayer didn't kill then because they were eggs? Should I pull the coral out and dip it in bayer again?

I added a video, btw
Dips don't help with vermetids. As others have said, they probably aren't going to bother anything, but if you want to remove, then scrape/ chip/ crush the shell (outside the tank) and rinse off the frag before returning it to the tank.

Seymo44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can fill the opening to the tubes with super glue, or just crush them with pliers. They’re mostly harmless, but they can multiply to plague like proportions.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have started adding a few corals to my tank. I dipped all of them in bayer and then hydrogen peroxide. There looks like something growing out of my candy cane. I'm new to this but from what I understand, this isn't how new heads form. They kinda look like what I envision little featherduster looking like, but I dipped them in bayer.

I have added a few things before snails and after that weren't dipped, so, I guess it could be anything, but they specifically are growing on the candy cane. One of them on the back side is so long that it has reached the rock

20230203_195232.jpg Screenshot_20230204_093453_Gallery.jpg
Take pliers and crush them or crush and discard outside of tank while still with plier grip

Back