What is it eating??

ReefRacer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I setup a second reef tank about a year ago and then decided after about 5 months that I wanted it to be a frag tank. So I took out all the sand and rock and put in some acrylic frag rags. I was only using ceramic bio-spheres as filtration in the tank and just kept that in place for the frag tank. There are no fish, I was feeding Reef-roids once a week but I stopped due to algae. I think the algae is regular green hair algae, but I can't for the life of me figure out what it's feeding on. There's a small CUC and I don't know if they are actually eating it. I do 40% water changes each week and syphon out some of the algae and it just grows back. The tank does not get direct sunlight and I tried to go no lights for 5 days and no effect. I have also tried Reef RX and it had no effect.

Any ideas from the R2R Gurus??

Tank: Nuvo 14 Peninsula
Red Sea PO4 test kit : 0
Water: RO/DI
Salt: AquaForest Reef Salt (1.026)
Temp: 78
Fish: 0
Light: Radion XR15 G6 Blue
Circulation: MP10

IMG_7922_hair.jpeg

bensoo00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see the color that well or maybe I'm kinda blind but if it is green hair algae then you could introduce some Foxface rabbitfish or trochus snails or a stronger CUC/algae-eating fish that would probably make quick work of it. If your PO4 is at 0 then I am unsure what the issue could be, but since the algae is probably sucking all the nutrients, perhaps keeping your lights low and then gradually turning them up while getting rid of all the algae diligently will result in a reduction in algae, as the corals will be able to benefit from the nutrients being reintroduced after the algae that is sucking it all up is lessening in population. It also could be some evil mystery algae I am unaware of though, so hopefully if someone else who knows exactly what it is sees this, they will be able to give a solution catered to that. Good luck! :cool:

OP
OP
R

ReefRacer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see the color that well or maybe I'm kinda blind but if it is green hair algae then you could introduce some Foxface rabbitfish or trochus snails or a stronger CUC/algae-eating fish that would probably make quick work of it. If your PO4 is at 0 then I am unsure what the issue could be, but since the algae is probably sucking all the nutrients, perhaps keeping your lights low and then gradually turning them up while getting rid of all the algae diligently will result in a reduction in algae, as the corals will be able to benefit from the nutrients being reintroduced after the algae that is sucking it all up is lessening in population. It also could be some evil mystery algae I am unaware of though, so hopefully if someone else who knows exactly what it is sees this, they will be able to give a solution catered to that. Good luck! :cool:
Thanks so much for the input. I originally thought it was bryopsis so I tried Flux Rx and that didn't do anything. Next guess was GHA and unfortunately I think the tank is a bit small for a Foxface. Was talking to a friend at my LFS and he said it looks like in could be dino. So I am trying Red Sea NOPOX and going black for 2 day increments. Fingers crossed!!

OP
OP
R

ReefRacer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color makes me think of chrysophytes.
To be honest I had to Google that one. Interesting though that it seems to enjoy nutrient deficient tanks. With no rock or sand or fish, I think this qualifies. Will have to research more. Thanks for the input

kevgib67.​

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I had to Google that one. Interesting though that it seems to enjoy nutrient deficient tanks. With no rock or sand or fish, I think this qualifies. Will have to research more. Thanks for the input

kevgib67.​

Good luck, this is a tough one and requires patience. I received a bunch of corals from a local reefer he took his tank down because of this algae, I saw what it looked like in person. That reefer did not have patience and wanted an overnight fix, a little OCD. I dipped the corals and plopped them in and no problems. That was about 7 months ago, I run nutrients on the higher end. Good luck. Search this thread.
C36F95B7-0275-43CB-928D-BFF99368CF87.png

OP
OP
R

ReefRacer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. Thanks again. Is the only true way to find out what kind of algae it is with a microscope?

OP
OP
R

ReefRacer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might have to get it a shot. Amazon has some for pretty cheap. Seems more reliable than guessing cause so many look the same.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 90 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back