What is the best refractor to buy?

Dwb5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title pretty much says it all. But I am looking to buy a refractor and was wondering your thought s on the best one for the best price. I found them on amazon for $20 or at marine depot from $50 to $150. Help me make my mind up please?

reef_junkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the one from brs for $35. Had it for over a year and has stayed togeather well, acrylic hinge still like new, I wipe it after every use so no sign of rust yet. I'd recommend that one.

OP
OP
Dwb5

Dwb5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the one from brs for $35. Had it for over a year and has stayed togeather well, acrylic hinge still like new, I wipe it after every use so no sign of rust yet. I'd recommend that one.
Thank you have not look there yet. But I will..

keithp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't imagine anyone has gone through enough of these to tell you which is best. It seems to me that most work well. There are a few with narrower range for aquariums and may be easier to read for people with bad vision but the full scale works fine for me. I might have gone digital if vision or lighting was a factor. Some come with a protective case or bag. A calibration lock screw and appropriate units are probably the most important features that are missing on some. Beyond that, finding one with lots of good reviews may mean it will survive rough handling better.

Mine is a Vee Gee which has always worked well but does require decent light. Direct, bright, full spectrum light from a point source like the sun or a flood light is required. I have never dropped it but it is probably of similar durability to an unprotected cell phone.

I was surprised how much stores tanks can vary. It is definitely worth checking and adding extra acclimation time for a mismatch.

masterbuilder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dont get the Red Sea one..total junk. I have the Marine Depot Pro version and it stays calibrated for a long time. Of the several I have had, I like it because its so easy to read compared to some of the others. If your ordering get the calibration fluid for sure.

Rskiba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at that one. Do you use distilled water or the calibrating solution?

Use the calibration fluid. trying to calibrate to zero allows too much variation. The closer you can calibrate to the testing parameter the more accurate the results.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend the Milwaukee Digital Refractometer. It can not get any easier and more accurate.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking at that one. Do you use distilled water or the calibrating solution?

I've done it both ways, and it's calibrated fine using each. But you probably want to use calibration fluid just to be sure. Just chaps my butt having to pay so much for that stuff.

OP
OP
Dwb5

Dwb5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand completely! I know I shouldn't be like this. But I love to spend on fish and corals. But when it comes to equipment I can be very tight.

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the brs and the veegee I get the same readings from both. I would say which ever one you buy make sure that you buy the calibration fluid and keep it cal before every use

Back