What Is the Best Way to Export Nutrients?

What is the best way to export nitrate and phosphate?

• Biological Filtration

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • Algae Scrubber

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • Chato Scrubber/Refugium

Votes: 20 30.3%
  • Skimmer

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • Chemical Filtration

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • Corals

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Water Changes

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • Media Bags

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Other (Please Explain)

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, there are all kinds of different ways to export nutrients. Specifically, nitrate and phosphate. What is the best way to export them?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Skimmer and filter socks for me

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no best way.

Many ways work, and every one of them has pros and cons. :)

I used all of these at the same time:

GFO
macroalgae
rock filled refugia
vinegar dosing
GAC
skimmer
water changes

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO skimmer (assuming that you can keep detritus in suspension) AND bacteria. If your skimmer can receive the large materials and heavy proteins AND you have a raging bacterial population there is no need for anything else. You may need to carbon dose to get that active bacterial population but whatever it takes..you get the picture.

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my skimmer but I find it doesn't do much skimming and I end up with water too devoid of nitrate and Phos if I change my filter socks more than twice a week. I've also had to step up my feedings to increase bioload.

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to reduce something by an exact amount, water changes by definition are best. But they aren’t a water treatment method.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, there are all kinds of different ways to export nutrients. Specifically, nitrate and phosphate. What is the best way to export them?
Water changes.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to reduce something by an exact amount, water changes by definition are best. But they aren’t a water treatment method.
Works great for nitrate, but it often doesn't work that way for phosphate.

Even a 100% change might only drop phosphate a small amount because there is a big reservoir of phosphate stuck to rock and sand that is in equilibrium with the bulk water. Remove all the phosphate from the water and more will come off the rock to replace it, driving the level back toward where you started.

Depending on the rock, the amount on it can be a lot more than actually is in the water.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Randy. There are no “best” methods. I have a couple thoughts.

Your question might be reformulated: how do I determine the optimum nitrate or phosphate methodology for my system? What are the factors to consider?

The other thought is that if you have to export nitrate, is that an indication the system is overstocked?

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Randy. There are no “best” methods. I have a couple thoughts.

Your question might be reformulated: how do I determine the optimum nitrate or phosphate methodology for my system? What are the factors to consider?

The other thought is that if you have to export nitrate, is that an indication the system is overstocked?
"how do I determine the optimum nitrate or phosphate methodology for my system? What are the factors to consider?" Let's hear it.

Well, no my tank is not overstocked. But I'm do feed really heavy some times but not an issue.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"how do I determine the optimum nitrate or phosphate methodology for my system? What are the factors to consider?" Let's hear it.

Well, no my tank is not overstocked. But I'm do feed really heavy some times but not an issue.
One factor that might be the main driver is what you like to do. No matter what the science says, what the aquarist likes to do or believes in is an important consideration. For example, some folks are negative about chemicals. They might find dosing vinegar or vodka to reduce nitrates “unnatural”. Step one in finding the optimum methodology is to eliminate the obvious, the things you dislike for whatever reason.

Cost in time and money come next. If dosing vinegar is still in the running, it is likely to be the least time consuming, simplest and cheapest methodology. The other end of the cost spectrum is growing algae. It takes time to do it right and the right conditions, which means spending money on equipment. Vigorous growth of algae can deplete some trace elements. More time and money managing them. Step 2 is weighing the cost in time and money for a methodology. If you are an engineer, cost per unit of something would be what you would be figuring for the methods in the running. Maybe cost per ppm nitrate per day removed. Cost of labor, your personal time, is easily underestimated. If you find out that you hate doing something and are still doing it, your labor cost was likely underestimated relative to material cost.

Effectiveness or efficacy goes into the cost calculation. For example you are unlikely to find data that supports the notion of reducing nitrates with a skimmer but much data to support vinegar dosing and growing algae. For this exercise you might rank skimmers ineffective and vinegar dosing effective.

I leave the ranking of organic polymer pellets, sulfur denitrators, etc. to you.

Minhaj Qazi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my skimmer but I find it doesn't do much skimming and I end up with water too devoid of nitrate and Phos if I change my filter socks more than twice a week. I've also had to step up my feedings to increase bioload.
Have you tried no filter socks. Cheto is happier. Corals get natural food and rest skimmed iut. I have oversized skimmer as first responder.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One factor that might be the main driver is what you like to do.

That's exactly what I was going to say.

Refugia can be fun to see what grows there. and it's also a space for putting creatures that need a time out or a safe space. Most other methods are just chores and cost.

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what I was going to say.

Refugia can be fun to see what grows there. and it's also a space for putting creatures that need a time out or a safe space. Most other methods are just chores and cost.
Well, how about an all in one (aio) set up?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily.

Then I'm not sure I understand the question.

Can you grow macroalgae in it? Can it be lit? One a reverse cycle to the tank?

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I'm not sure I understand the question.

Can you grow macroalgae in it? Can it be lit? One a reverse cycle to the tank?
Basically, I feel like leveling up in the filtration part of my tank. I'd thought about pluming a sump because the there's not too much space in the back. I had made this tread because I was wonder if I should even go the sump method. If I do, I just wondering what my main powerhouse would be down there. But seeing (by the man himself) that there is no "best" method, and it comes down to wants and needs, then I guess I'm satisfied. If I go with the sump, I'll probably use a skimmer and refuge, (and water changes?) I honestly feel I should just upgrade my tank at that rate, but I can always reuse the sump on a new tank. So, I'm very sorry for the confusion or if I had caused problems of sort. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated. :)

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 44 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back