What is the best web cam for streaming a fish tank?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm looking into installing a live streaming web cam for my tank, but I'm not sure which ones are good. I know drop cam is popular, but I'm curious to know if they're the best or if there are others I should consider? I was almost considering a HD pan and tilt baby video monitor. LOL Thoughts?

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of locals using foscams with good results.

ME, I'm super cheap, so I'm going to hook up an old smartphone!

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well hopefully the Foscam F19831P model as I just ordered one a few days ago.... lol

Now I just need to learn how to hook it up or into to my Apex 'Fusion' for easier viewing.

Cheers, Todd

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Canon VB-20 which is Pan Tilt zoom and that was a good camera. I upgraded to the Axis 214 which is PTZ with 20x optical zoom - You can zoom into polyp level and when the internet connection to the house is good the camera is fast enough to follow fish around the tank. But it's greatest asset is it has pretty good auto white balance so you can see things well with the blue lighting of the reef. This is not an inexpensive camera, but it you want to really be able to view your tank and check on things this is the route to go.

The only part that I want to update is it switches to IR nightvision, but you see a dark tank. So I am thinking about getting an IR flood light to hang over the tank so at night you can see the tank, instead of just a big black box.

Camera is setup for Public viewing. Lights turn on around 4:30pm Pacific time till 1am - o2manyfish's Live & Controllable Webcam - Enjoy

Dave B

roli112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Canon VB-20 which is Pan Tilt zoom and that was a good camera. I upgraded to the Axis 214 which is PTZ with 20x optical zoom - You can zoom into polyp level and when the internet connection to the house is good the camera is fast enough to follow fish around the tank. But it's greatest asset is it has pretty good auto white balance so you can see things well with the blue lighting of the reef. This is not an inexpensive camera, but it you want to really be able to view your tank and check on things this is the route to go.

The only part that I want to update is it switches to IR nightvision, but you see a dark tank. So I am thinking about getting an IR flood light to hang over the tank so at night you can see the tank, instead of just a big black box.

Camera is setup for Public viewing. Lights turn on around 4:30pm Pacific time till 1am - o2manyfish's Live & Controllable Webcam - Enjoy

Dave B
Can't seem to get the feed

TruRacr314x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see it right now either...might be too many people trying to view it. I've watched his feed before...pretty amazing camera!

Fishlee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use drop cam pro super simple no set up just plug it in and it's ready to go

JulieReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well hopefully the Foscam F19831P model as I just ordered one a few days ago.... lol

Now I just need to learn how to hook it up or into to my Apex 'Fusion' for easier viewing.

Cheers, Todd
Hi Todd,

I realize that this is an old post but I just hooked up my Apex Fusion and want to purchase a webcam. Were you successful with the Foscam? Any advice for me before I purchase?

thank you,
Julie

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a new Nest Cam (Drop Cam was the old version of the camera). It is great for monitoring your sump or the tank but I would not use it as a live stream for the public. Extremely easy to setup.....essentially plug and play. You can see my review here.

Last edited:

go29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome review man! Quick question for ya though, Im thinking about adding this to simply monitor the tank but am wondering about the zoom. On best buy it says the camera doesn't have zoom tilt etc but you show that the app obviously allows the zoom so I'm confused on what to expect. Thanks and again great review

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome review man! Quick question for ya though, Im thinking about adding this to simply monitor the tank but am wondering about the zoom. On best buy it says the camera doesn't have zoom tilt etc but you show that the app obviously allows the zoom so I'm confused on what to expect. Thanks and again great review
Thanks! Yes, it does not pan or tilt but you can zoom. On my iPhone I just double tap on the area I want to zoom in to....and then you can hit the enhance button.

E_Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a new Nest Cam (Drop Cam was the old version of the camera). It is great for monitoring your sump or the tank but I would not use it as a live stream for the public. Extremely easy to setup.....essentially plug and play. You can see my review here.

Is there a particular camera that you recommend to stream a video of the display?

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Axis was mentioned in an earlier post and they do have many options that would work. However, it is some work to get them hooked into a home network, they can be pricey and you will also need the proper bandwidth to stream HD quality video.

Back