What is the bio load for adding corals to a new DT?

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a fish only guy for ever, but have been out of hobby for 10+ years and recently got the bug again and am amazed at how the hobby has progressed. I'm planning to have a 75 with 30 gallon sump up and running by thanksgiving and just mulling over some things. The one thing I haven't seen discussed is how many corals can be added at a time. Is there a general rule of thumb like x number of frags or so many colonies or is it dependent on type, softy, lps, sps. My plans are softys and lps to start but may decide sps at some point. Open to any and all ideas at this point.

Jeff Hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO...It all depends on your Ca+ and alk demand and if you are able to keep up with the demand of adding a bunch of corals all at once. Adding corals slowly will impact the demand on Ca+ and alk less then adding a whole bunch at once.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned, the current uptake of nutrients will dictate the number and size of corals you can add at once. I usually only at 4-5 small frags at once until my levels get back to normal. Each system is different and as such I don't believe there's a "golden" rule. Just common sense and good observation;)

OP
OP
Ferrell

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO...It all depends on your Ca+ and alk demand and if you are able to keep up with the demand of adding a bunch of corals all at once. Adding corals slowly will impact the demand on Ca+ and alk less then adding a whole bunch at once.
Good points on both counts. It seems logical once you think in those terms. So if someone is adding soft corals there would be little demand, lps more demand on Ca & Alk and sps most. Thanks for the info. Hope to be posting some pics when I get up and running

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back