What is this algae and how do I treat it? Rhodoliths?

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This algae showed up in my tank a few months ago and I can’t identify it or get rid of it. My nitrates and phosphates are 2ppm and 0.03ppm. On the sand it’s in little balls, with the core being a piece of sand or rock. On the rocks, it’s encrusted and almost impossible to remove. The corals are fine so far. I studied online and the only thing that seemed close was Rhodoliths, which I’ve never heard of.

My tank is a 40g mixed reef up and running for 6 years. The only thing that’s gone wrong lately is a drop in alk to the 7’s due to a problem with my dosing pump. I have two emeralds in the tank but they’re not touching it. I like to treat problems the natural way rather than chemically. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
IMG_1270.jpeg
IMG_1269.jpeg

Mohammad.ki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you using a filltered water this grass algae shown when normal water added to the tank and try to lower the light abit and if you have white light in the room turn it off make the room dark for 3 days it will reduce the algea from the tank and sun light will make algea also avoid it also you can get a fish that eat algea like tomini tang it will clean your tank

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are you using a filltered water this grass algae shown when normal water added to the tank and try to lower the light abit and if you have white light in the room turn it off make the room dark for 3 days it will reduce the algea from the tank and sun light will make algea also avoid it also you can get a fish that eat algea like tomini tang it will clean your tank
Thanks. I think my RODI filters need to be changed. That’s the only thing that’s changed in the tank. Appreciate the help!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back