What is this crab?

Sipec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it on one of my turbo snails in my tank. I think it's bad, but it keeps hiding it's claws so its hard to tell. It has a tanish colored shell and overall has a sort of stubby look to it.
@reefsquad?
IMG_20180719_102529744.jpg

RocketBunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found it on one of my turbo snails in my tank. I think it's bad, but it keeps hiding it's claws so its hard to tell. It has a tanish colored shell and overall has a sort of stubby look to it.
@reefsquad?
IMG_20180719_102529744.jpg
Could be a baby emerald crab, they tend to get their green color after some time as their shell hardens more... OR it could simply be a small reef crab. I don't think that it will harm anyone, small crabs tend to graze on algae and tiny bits of food/detritus... leave him...

This could possibly a Portunidae crab, AKA swimming crab... Does he paddle when you put him on the water surface? Please put him back into your display tank and provide more observations, maybe I could help :)

OP
OP
Sipec

Sipec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was kinda thinking he was a swimming crab from what I was looking at, he was kinda jumping in the container maybe? It won't end up in my display again though, it's in my dad's sump now. I also want to downsize on crabs in my tank, my pompom crab has fragged my zoas before and my blue leg hermit crab recently ripped my red leg out of it's shell, so I've kinda had bad experience with crabs

RocketBunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was kinda thinking he was a swimming crab from what I was looking at, he was kinda jumping in the container maybe? It won't end up in my display again though, it's in my dad's sump now. I also want to downsize on crabs in my tank, my pompom crab has fragged my zoas before and my blue leg hermit crab recently ripped my red leg out of it's shell, so I've kinda had bad experience with crabs
Yeah when it comes to crabs, the small ones that are sold for like 10 cents at lfs are the best... they eat only algae and don't attack others.

I have an electric blue leg hermit which i got for 13$, very proud of that crab... he hasn't touched any coral... maybe you should get one? But they tend to grow big.

RocketBunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also crabs attack other crabs and corals and even fish when there is not enough food in your aquarium... and that is algae, leftover foods, and stuff like detritus. crabs are opportunistic feeders, and will go frag zoas...

target feed your crabs if you think that they are starving...

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump it's the best place for him. Don't put him back in the display tank.

OP
OP
Sipec

Sipec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think i'm going to maybe switch my cuc to more snails, I had two nassarius', one got flipped and died, another idk what happened but I think I saw it's empty shell in the tank today. I think im going to get more of those.
It looks delicious I would just eat it.
1. It's smaller than a penny
2. I'm vegetarian
Sump it's the best place for him. Don't put him back in the display tank.
I am definitely not putting it back in the tank, when I found it it was hanging of the side of one of my turbo snails. It now resides in my dad's tank in his sump.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back