What is this in my live phyto?

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what this is? It’s a week-old bottle I’ve got in the refrigerator. I’ve never seen this happen before, and am not sure what it is and if it’s okay to continue adding this batch to my tank…

CA37494C-489B-4EA0-814B-E63927B4AF4C.jpeg

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what this is? It’s a week-old bottle I’ve got in the refrigerator. I’ve never seen this happen before, and am not sure what it is and if it’s okay to continue adding this batch to my tank…

CA37494C-489B-4EA0-814B-E63927B4AF4C.jpeg
Very strange. Looks like something is precipitating out like crystal formation or something along those lines. Did you grow this yourself?

Chad

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very strange. Looks like something is precipitating out like crystal formation or something along those lines. Did you grow this yourself?

Chad
It's actually Phyto Feast Live -- just received a new bottle about a week ago. I've been using the product for a while now, as well as other brands previously, and haven't seen anything like it before.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually Phyto Feast Live -- just received a new bottle about a week ago. I've been using the product for a while now, as well as other brands previously, and haven't seen anything like it before.
I'm going to reach out to you in a direct message since this is our product. I've sent the image to our team so see what is going on. We have not heard from anyone else regarding this, so it appears to be an isolated occurrence. We hope to get to the bottom of this and make it right.

Best,
Chad

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know reef nutrition is reaching out, but any chance it could have started to freeze (being in the back of the fridge maybe?) Just tossing an idea

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just at the bottom? Or does it move around when shaken?

Never seen anything like that in a bottle of live phyto, and I've been using it for quite a few years now.

I would be curious to know what it is, if you ever find out.

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just at the bottom? Or does it move around when shaken?

Never seen anything like that in a bottle of live phyto, and I've been using it for quite a few years now.

I would be curious to know what it is, if you ever find out.
It settles at the bottom, and gets mixed in when I shake it up. But the way I noticed was I poured a bunch into my tank direct from the bottle the other night and there were white things flying around the tank. I stopped pouring and put it away -- went to check the next morning and this stuff had settled on the bottom. So some of it has def already gone into my tank before I noticed it.

Edit: no ill effects notice tho. Filter feeders were going nuts as usual and the water looks crystal clear and perfect. Nothing odd going on w/the skimmer either.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

So, it appears that we were using an ingredient from a new manufacturer which resulted in a pH shift. This pH shift caused the salts in our liquid suspension mixture to precipitate out. While it isn't appealing , the algae itself is actually fine, and the precipitate is harmless. With that being said, we are sending all of the stores and hobbyists that got product from this batch a new batch of phytoplankton starting Monday! We have also made the appropriate changes to our mixtures and our production staff is up to speed.

@Lyss! We can't thank you enough for bringing this to our attention so that we could figure out what went wrong on our end. Once we got to the bottom of it, we were able to make the right decisions so that everyone is taken care of whether they complained or not. Our team asked me to tell you how grateful we are for how you handled this and your understanding.

If anyone has any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out to me directly. Have a great weekend, everyone!

Best,
Chad

OP
OP
Lyss

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

So, it appears that we were using an ingredient from a new manufacturer which resulted in a pH shift. This pH shift caused the salts in our liquid suspension mixture to precipitate out. While it isn't appealing , the algae itself is actually fine, and the precipitate is harmless. With that being said, we are sending all of the stores and hobbyists that got product from this batch a new batch of phytoplankton starting Monday! We have also made the appropriate changes to our mixtures and our production staff is up to speed.

@Lyss! We can't thank you enough for bringing this to our attention so that we could figure out what went wrong on our end. Once we got to the bottom of it, we were able to make the right decisions so that everyone is taken care of whether they complained or not. Our team asked me to tell you how grateful we are for how you handled this and your understanding.

If anyone has any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to reach out to me directly. Have a great weekend, everyone!

Best,
Chad
Thank you so much! I'm glad I said something, and more than anything I was super curious and interested about what it could be.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

Best,
Chad
And this is what a company with full transparency does, and one of the reasons I go out of my way to find reef nutrition products for my reef.

Kudo's to you guys for figuring out, and handling it in a proper fashion.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this is what a company with full transparency does, and one of the reasons I go out of my way to find reef nutrition products for my reef.

Kudo's to you guys for figuring out, and handling it in a proper fashion.
They actually just earned themselves a new customer based on this interaction, it's probably the single most impressive thing I've ever seen a company do.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chad and team are great to deal with and are always available to answer questions and in this case, resolve an issue the way it should be resolved. I love their products and so do my tank's inhabitants! :)

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 168 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back