enricocoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sponge.jpg
?

I've noticed my Aussie Lord was retracted for a couple days then I looked closer and saw this Cocoon looking matrix next to and kind of underneath it? There is also some on the other side, it appeared pretty quickly? Is it a sponge or something and if so how do I remove/kill it without hurting the Lord?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clathrina sponge. Generally a harmless filter-feeder and a sign of a healthy ecosystem but rarely smother corals. I never actively tried to eliminate sponges, but others recommend injecting them with air, boiling water, or hydrogen peroxide.

OP
OP
E

enricocoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the lord definitely seems affected by its presence, I'll try to scrape/inject air maybe first as I wouldn't want to get boiling water or peroxide that close to the lord. Does anything eat sponges?

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the lord definitely seems affected by its presence, I'll try to scrape/inject air maybe first as I wouldn't want to get boiling water or peroxide that close to the lord. Does anything eat sponges?
I have heard reports that sponges can release toxins when scraped, though this never affected my tank. Of the few sponge predators that exist, some might also eat corals or be selective about which sponges they eat.
Here is a list I compiled and have posted on some other threads:

A few predator examples:
- Marine angelfish
- Moorish idols
- Some starfish
- Some nudibranchs
- Sea turtles ;)

OP
OP
E

enricocoron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don't think I want to add any of those at the moment, I think I may just try injecting air into it, if that doesn't work I'll try scraping and make sure my carbon reactor has a fresh dose in it and skimmer running full tilt and be ready for a big water change.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back