What is this sticky algae?

Louisethenewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cananyone help ID this stringy sticky reddish/brown algae? My tank is 5 months old & it only started appearing in the last week. It grows quite long & stringy quickly - this thermometer probe was scrubbed clean less than 48 hours ago. Would appreciate any help. For information I also have some bubble algae & vermetid snails. Thanks
Nitrate - 5.0mg/l
Phosphate - 0mg/l
according to NT Labs test

EDFF64F7-7B01-4A92-835A-C67328D8DDD2.jpeg 4D1FC2D3-6784-4560-AE5E-74AAA33E296F.jpeg

Last edited:

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it go away at night and come back in the day with the lights? White light pics will help. What is your Nitrate and Phos levels?

OP
OP
Louisethenewbie

Louisethenewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it go away at night and come back in the day with the lights? White light pics will help. What is your Nitrate and Phos levels?
Have added another photo which hopefully shows it better. Not sure about nighttime… will check tonight. Will also check nitrate & phos levels although I don’t seem to get very reliable results from my NT Labs tests

OP
OP
Louisethenewbie

Louisethenewbie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have added another photo which hopefully shows it better. Not sure about nighttime… will check tonight. Will also check nitrate & phos levels although I don’t seem to get very reliable results from my NT Labs tests
Nitrate - 5.0 mg/l
Phosphate - 0 mg/l

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back