What is this white and brown algae growing on my back wall and parts of sand?

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tan is about four months old now. I thought I just got over the ugly stage last week but I’m looking on my rocks and I see little areas with brown stuff on them. I am also seeing new spots that are dark brown on the sand behind the rocks. Also, on the back wall of my tank, I see this white stuff growing and some brown patches on the back. What could this be? Is that a problem h

IMG_1302.jpeg IMG_1300.jpeg IMG_1301.jpeg IMG_1304.jpeg IMG_1303.jpeg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tan is about four months old now. I thought I just got over the ugly stage last week but I’m looking on my rocks and I see little areas with brown stuff on them. I am also seeing new spots that are dark brown on the sand behind the rocks. Also, on the back wall of my tank, I see this white stuff growing and some brown patches on the back. What could this be? Is that a problem h

IMG_1302.jpeg IMG_1300.jpeg IMG_1301.jpeg IMG_1304.jpeg IMG_1303.jpeg
Don’t know what this stuff is.

By the way, the weird and very annoying off color growth is likely just starting in your aquarium.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t know what this stuff is.

By the way, the weird and very annoying off color growth is likely just starting in your aquarium.
Yeah diatoms went away last week. I had them for like 2 months but they might be coming back

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a full tank shot? At this point I would say, if the fish are ok, the tank is ok.
Here is a pic and a video. Overall tank has been looking great lax all parameters are good but nitrate and phosphate are 0.

Attachments

• IMG_1306.mov
    28.2 MB
  • IMG_1305.jpeg
    IMG_1305.jpeg
    132.1 KB · Views: 40

zhenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes 2 clowns, 4 Kupang damsels, 2 cleaner shrimp, and 5 corals
Well, that’s it then. You are going to have to take the system apart, sterilize all the rock and sand, let the tank sit fallow for 8 months, and then try again!
Whatever is growing in your system is fulfilling a need. There are a million variables, so don’t get too panicked. I have had tanks I abandon only to return months later to fat fish and growth I can probably get credit for discovering.
Remember, the more you try to control one variable the more other things are affected. Fish feeding and swimming is the goal for a new system, you have accomplished that.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that’s it then. You are going to have to take the system apart, sterilize all the rock and sand, let the tank sit fallow for 8 months, and then try again!
Whatever is growing in your system is fulfilling a need. There are a million variables, so don’t get too panicked. I have had tanks I abandon only to return months later to fat fish and growth I can probably get credit for discovering.
Remember, the more you try to control one variable the more other things are affected. Fish feeding and swimming is the goal for a new system, you have accomplished that.
So you are say start over? All parameter look good but my nitrate and phosphate.

Nitrate - 2.9ppm
Phosphate-0.0ppm
pH- 8.2
Salinity- 1.024
Alk- 9.3dkh
Calcium- 444ppm
Magnesium -1350ppm

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do understand the ugly stages go off and on over the course of the first year right? 4 months means your barely into it. If you let things get out of balance then ugly stages happen well after the first year too. Your nutrient levels are bottomed out which if you have no corals that might not be critical but if you have corals then they are starving to death now. Low nutrients and high alk is also bad.

OP
OP
Reef Devils

Reef Devils

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do understand the ugly stages go off and on over the course of the first year right? 4 months means your barely into it. If you let things get out of balance then ugly stages happen well after the first year too. Your nutrient levels are bottomed out which if you have no corals that might not be critical but if you have corals then they are starving to death now. Low nutrients and high alk is also bad.
Well all of my corals look great. They open fully every day. I need to get nitrate up

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well all of my corals look great. They open fully every day. I need to get nitrate up
Corals typically decline from the inside out with no nutrients. Can take weeks or months before they show the decline on the outside. Learned quite a bit from my own experiences.

zhenya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are say start over? All parameter look good but my nitrate and phosphate.

Nitrate - 2.9ppm
Phosphate-0.0ppm
pH- 8.2
Salinity- 1.024
Alk- 9.3dkh
Calcium- 444ppm
Magnesium -1350ppm
My apologies, I was trying to say that you should just ride it out and not worry about eradicating life that you do not find visually appealing. Good luck and enjoy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back