what is your favorite fish in your aquarium?

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my favorites are green mandrins and 1 you can't have in a 65 for very long. In my 125 he grew from 1" to 10" top to bottom fin in a year. About 1" in the picture
IMG_20200224_182050.jpg
where is he in the picture? All i can see is the batfish. Also i thought they only grow to be 3 inches?

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah those are beautiful. Saw one at my lfs and fell in love with it. It was like a quarter inch long. They are pretty difficult though, have you had success keeping one? If so have any tips?
Lot's of pods and try to get biota bred ones.
where is he in the picture? All i can see is the batfish. Also i thought they only grow to be 3 inches?
The batfish is the one I'm talking about, they get to 18". I have 3 mandrins in the tank as well

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok! I may try one, not at first though, maybe in a few months. I want to start with the hardiest fish possible, then move it up to the less hardy but more beautiful.
Ok, then as per @commanderwho recommend, and they have some good suggestions, Banggai Cardinal. Interesting looking fish, some find them boring as they tend to just hang in the water column. Had one for many years till a small crash about 15 years ago. Personally I like them, super hardy fish, tank raised usually....

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, then as per @commanderwho recommend, and they have some good suggestions, Banggai Cardinal. Interesting looking fish, some find them boring as they tend to just hang in the water column. Had one for many years till a small crash about 15 years ago. Personally I like them, super hardy fish, tank raised usually....
Yeah i was considering maybe adding a pair in the future. I know they are nocturnal, but do they also move around in the daytime?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i was considering maybe adding a pair in the future. I know they are nocturnal, but do they also move around in the daytime?
Ya they just sorta hang in the middle of water column in your tank come daytime. They don't swim much, just sit there displaying themselves till the food comes out, then try and swallow it all whole lol. An entertaining fish imo

Turnage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah those are beautiful. Saw one at my lfs and fell in love with it. It was like a quarter inch long. They are pretty difficult though, have you had success keeping one? If so have any tips?
Yea I have one in my Biocubes 32. When I first got home he decimated my pod population in a matter of days. Then he started to starve and got very skinny. The day I decided to take him back to the lfs I noticed that he was eating dry pellet food. So I started feeding him directly the dried pellet food and now he's fat and happy.
PXL_20210615_235223253.jpg

PXL_20210615_235220630.jpg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennies, wrasses, and the dragonettes are always fun fish. They watch you as much as you watch them. They are fun to watch hunt too. I admit, my mixture of damsels always keep me entertained. Never thought I would say that.
But, the good old clownfish are always fun (if you do not mind being bit). Although same goes for my damsels. :)

In my large system, my ear muff wrasse and damsels are my favorite. In my 6g, I love all the little guys in there. Some cool black bellied gobies, dwarf gobies, court jester, little damsel. Seems like a lot for a little tank. They are all babies. Tiny and cute.

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blennies, wrasses, and the dragonettes are always fun fish. They watch you as much as you watch them. They are fun to watch hunt too. I admit, my mixture of damsels always keep me entertained. Never thought I would say that.
But, the good old clownfish are always fun (if you do not mind being bit). Although same goes for my damsels. :)

In my large system, my ear muff wrasse and damsels are my favorite. In my 6g, I love all the little guys in there. Some cool black bellied gobies, dwarf gobies, court jester, little damsel. Seems like a lot for a little tank. They are all babies. Tiny and cute.
The first sentence is kind of creepy lol... I love the way blennies swim. They are definitly gonna be one of the first fish for my tank. Great fish ideas!

OP
OP
Ro Bow

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I have one in my Biocubes 32. When I first got home he decimated my pod population in a matter of days. Then he started to starve and got very skinny. The day I decided to take him back to the lfs I noticed that he was eating dry pellet food. So I started feeding him directly the dried pellet food and now he's fat and happy.
PXL_20210615_235223253.jpg

PXL_20210615_235220630.jpg
is it hard to get them to eat dry food? I hear they only accept live. You must be lucky!!!

Turnage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it hard to get them to eat dry food? I hear they only accept live. You must be lucky!!!
Not sure about being hard for them to eat dry food. Mine probably started due to survival or saw the other fish eating them. Personally I think he swims around and thinks the dry food is a pod. But yes I got lucky because I have read alot of post on this subject and only a handful of reefers have trained their Mandarin to eat dry.

NanoMan16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As everyone else has said clowns are always a good choice. Stay away from tomato varieties and maroons. They are pure bullies. Royal Gamma, fire fish, six line wrasse, flame angel, box fish, magnificent fox face, blue chromis, any cardinal fish. All good reef fish. People will disagree with flame angels because they are haters…lol. Mine is 2 years old and never touched a coral.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back