What MH's To Use...Color/Par?

herefishy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am needing to change out my bulbs. One, I don't like the color, never have. Two, they are over 7 months old and it is time to change. I am running dual se 250 Hamilton 14k bulbs supplemented by 2-54wt T-5 ATI actinic bulbs. Powered by a Galaxy dual 250 electronic ballast. It is over a 150g, 48" long by 31" high. I keep just a few SPS, but mostly love LPS and softies. Also a deresa Clam...
I am seeking a bluer color, crisper. The Hamiltons are too yellow for my taste. However, I don't want to sacrifice TOO much par for the sake of nicer color.
What do those who are in the know think...What bulbs run by the Galaxy eballast will give me good par and great color? Reeflux? XM? etc.?
Thank you.

Robthorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run phoenix de 250s and they are great. Plenty blue but not fake looking. Phoenix has a se 250 available also but they cost a lot more right now. $99 each. I know of a local store in oldsmar florida that has them in stock and will ship if needed. Or you could go with radiums. those are the only 2 bulbs I would run personally at this time. I have not tried all bulbs I just like what i see from these 2.

GPhiAce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If ou want to stay with SE bulbs, you may want to look into Radiums. They are very blue and have good PAR with the Galaxy ballast and with a good reflector they are great. I am running Aquaconnects because of the PAR ratings they give and the lifespan of them. A fellow reefer who I truly respect, been in the hobby for a long time and has a great tank runs them and has great results. He replaces them every 14-16 months I believe and has tested the PAR at the beginning and 12 months later and notes that they lost about 6% of their PAR- If my memory is correct. I didn't believe it, so I bought the bulb and now it's 8 months later and they are still reading the same PAR as day 2. They are expensive and white bulbs. Sanjay has done some work with several types of bulbs- you may want to look into his work. Manhattan Reefs - Sanjay's Lighting Guide this is a decent starting point. Good luck

Barky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 1 SE 250 Radium 13k mixed with (2) 14k phoenix I like the Radium crisp whiter blue over the pheonix, I always liked the phoenix until now

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new Coralvue 20k is supposed to have outstanding PAR and just the right amount of blue. I am switching from Reeflux 12k to those soon.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back