what size is your sump?

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of buying a box store brand sump I wanted to customize my Sump since I had certain specs in mind w/ 4 compartments. My sump is 36 x15''x15'' which is perfect for my new up and coming build, see attachment.
I will not be running a refugium, instead, I will be running a Turbo Algae Scrubber model #L1 and my Avast Kalk Reactor to keep PH stable @ Night as well my BRS Dual Reactor that runs ROWAPHPOS & BRS Carbon ROX 0.8.
For my Tank, I went with a Custom Rimless SCA 150 w/ Starfire Glass and installed a 20'' synergy overflow box.. Feel free to follow my tank journal during the 150 build. My next up and coming step will be to hard plumb my system and a manifold.

My Custom SUMP.JPG

24068050_10215297482219022_2818211324091726787_n.jpg

Jerry Ebner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank gallons, 24
Sump gallons,7
Approx % of sump used,85%
Fuge or not, No
Under tank?Yes
Are you happy with the size? Yeah for the nano tank its about right. I cant find a skimmer to work worth a crap. First one either flooded or did nothing.
The second skimmer won't skim anything to save my life. Even did all adjustments and raised the sump. Icecap let me down for my skimmer.

Ted_C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300 gallon display:
Sump is 24"x48"x16" Custom designed by me and built through contacts at the LFS. With all pumps off and back-drained - the sump holds 50 gallons safely. I drain the sump almost completely when I do water changes.

The first pic is the first design I had - where water goes into the first chamber - overflows into filter socks. Too noisy.
2016_08_09_320_Sump.jpg

New sump design with sliding filter socks:
2017_03_06_320_Sump_RHS.jpg

2017_03_06_320_Sump_Middle.jpg

I am going to go with another redesign down the road. The only change to this design: I'm going to make it taller (maybe 20" tall) to make changing the filter socks easier. I'm also thinking of ways of re-designing the drains into the sump to use hose instead of pipe so I can simply pull socks when I want instead of the pita unscrewing and screwing in pipes.

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer & GFO presently. I also carbon dose with vinegar. But, I am waiting on a new tank and will incorporate an algae turf scrubber from Turbo Aquatics on that build, in addition to the skimmer.
Going to run a fuge or forego it with the ATS?
*disregard: saw your second post.

Albertastorm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely no doubt in my mind that sump should be as big as you have room for!
My sump...refugium and frag tank with 200lbs of rock...will be 2 200 gallon tanks on 225 DT.
Mind you not full to top of with water but would have 1000 gallon sump if i could!
Small sump is like having a Ferrari with weed eater engine!!!
Why?
OMG....you will be able to feed tank whatever you want when ever you want with no ammonia or nitrate repercussions!
I understand some of us have space limitations:(
But think of the biggest sump you can fit...then times by 4:)))
The Great Barrier Reef! ....what size sump does it have?

The Great Barrier Reef!

Sump....tried to calculate but not a calculator big enough for all the zeros on water volume of oceans!!!
Protein skimmer...all the Australian beaches and the rest of the world!
Refugium....well i think you get it:))!

Don't have a fancy tank to show you...but will in a couple of years:(!

You think the display is fun???
Wait till you have unlimited room in sump!!!!

I think for every 10 gallon of display...if you got room...you should have 100 gallons of sump!!!

If you are having more fun in your display then your sump...its like loving your radio in a Bugatti...instead of the engine????

untitled.pngxxxxx.png

gyu.png

jk.png

untitled.pngzsd.png

untitled.pngzx.png

untitled.pngghyt.png

zzzz.png

zx.png

untitled.pnggh.png

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think volume for the sake of volume is mostly pointless. There should be some cogent reason for it. Clearly the sump should be able to handle all drain down water and have adequate space for the equipment one wishes to 'hide' there; but beyond that I add sump space only for specific purposes. So, while a typical system might only 'need' a sump nominally 25% of the display, the desire to run a large chaeto refugium would require something bigger. I run a quite complex sump system, with separate tanks for different purposes. The main sump is an old oceanic 150 on a display of 400 gallons (a 450 tank). So I'm at around 1/3. But I also run a RDSB and a separate refugium (though not for chaeto).

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back