What system would you recommend for this stock list?

VistaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in deep planning my next build and figured I look at this from a different angle starting from my ideal stocklist and the associated systems. Goal is for 6-10 fish and no SPS corals.

Going for a pretty straightforward fish list:
  • Designer clowns x2
  • Midas Blenny x1
  • Royal gramma x1
  • Orange watchman goby / court jester goby x1
  • Green Reef Chromis x2
  • Firefish x2
Other fish being considered
  • longnose hawkfish x1
  • benggai cardinal x2
  • Lawnmower blenny x1
My guess is something around 50 gallons. Would love some input on quantities, compatibility, and alternative recommendations.

Thanks

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we're looking at 9 small fish, probably 40 gallons minimum. With the 9-13 alternate list, probably closer to 50-65 gallons. You'll also most likely need a protein skimmer to accommodate a heavy bio load.

I like Red Sea tanks, but I'm not sure what your budget is.

OP
OP
V

VistaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point. Originally wanted to keep my build simple without any extra equipment.

I like the nano fish and the activity of many fish so trying to go for more small fish.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is great you are picking fish first. I wish everyone did it this way.

I would agree with 50g with bigger being nicer. You could always upsize a bit just in case you come across some other must have nano fish.

Personally I would not do too small. I tried a Midas blenny a few times in smaller tanks and they were mean as **** to their neighbors. They like space. My spawning clowns were not nice either.

OP
OP
V

VistaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input. A Midas blenny is my top fish choice so want to me mindful of their requirements. Im starting to shy away from having firefish. My previous ones were super skittish.

Thoughts on the benggai cardinals being swapped out for firefish? Never had them, but i think their swimming pattern is cool.

Maybe I start with this list and have room to work in alternates based on their personalities:
  • Designer clowns x2
  • Midas Blenny x1
  • Royal gramma x1
  • Orange watchman goby / court jester goby x1
  • Green Reef Chromis x2

OP
OP
V

VistaReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've mainly been considering the waterbox AIO 50.3. However, the G2 reefer 250 series is now also in consideration.

Given the conversation it sounds like the reefer 250 would be future proof but that comes at a cost. I am more constrained by space - the AIO is appealing due to having the full stand to put supplies in and simplify equipment. I don't plan on running a refugium and i wasn't looking to run a skimmer.

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Reefer 300XL is what I have, my stock list isn't too far from the full list you provided. Maybe take a look at the 250 if you want a deal- they just released a new line so I'd bet those will start to get heavily discounted as people look for the shiny new option. The 300XL has been a great tank in the 8 or so months I've had it, just make sure it's completely level when set up if you do buy it. Good luck!

johnreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we're looking at 9 small fish, probably 40 gallons minimum. With the 9-13 alternate list, probably closer to 50-65 gallons. You'll also most likely need a protein skimmer to accommodate a heavy bio load.

I like Red Sea tanks, but I'm not sure what your budget is.
for these small fishs, 10 -15 should be still good for his 50 gallon, skimmer needded off course. another problem is the compatibility, my 3 firefish all one by one jumped out of tank because the Royal gramma keep chasing them, so mesh cover is needed too.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 90 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 56 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back