what the heck??! I cleaned my tank and it looks like some one dumped these things inside??!!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Someone please tell me what to do!! What is this and why??!!

262F6867-C702-455E-880F-3223A616C7AB.jpeg 57E87D1C-0705-4500-824A-BC43E2113F74.jpeg
That's a LOT of bristle worms!

Reef pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah.....yuck, Thats right up there w the worm/return vid on here not too long ago.
Just tell people its a bristle worm tank and you're gooooooood. J/K

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am with you, I do not care that some say they are beneficial, I dip EVERYTHING when I buy it, and often get bristle worms fall off. I bought an elegance coral a few months ago, they have hollow channels in their skeleton, the one I bought from Liveaquaria was riddled with them. I could not believe how many crawled out during the dips.
Im gonna be buying an elegance soon. I did not think about it, but how long did you leave a big coral like this in the dip? And what did you use. I normally use Revive.

Randallh99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sad

I think this a great opportunity to redo your aquascape or upgrade to a bigger tank. You know, after you get invest in a blow torch and go crazy on your existing tank. But seriously, I would have a big vat of RO water and just freshwater dip all those rocks and slowly bring them back into your tank. You'll have stragglers for sure but it might take years of overfeeding to get to that level of real life nightmares.

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this a great opportunity to redo your aquascape or upgrade to a bigger tank. You know, after you get invest in a blow torch and go crazy on your existing tank. But seriously, I would have a big vat of RO water and just freshwater dip all those rocks and slowly bring them back into your tank. You'll have stragglers for sure but it might take years of overfeeding to get to that level of real life nightmares.
That might be a big overkill and will surely tick off any corals that he has growing on those rocks. Maybe not freshwater dip, but OP definitely could try to clean up as much detritus and stuff as possible. OP should just trap and scoop out as many as he can, and buy something that will eat them up (various wrasses, crabs and shrimps are known to gobble them up). Then gradually reduce feedings (an abrupt lack of feeding might cause a tank crash).

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I saw these pictures that was a previously unimaginable amount of bristleworms, I wouldn't freak out too much. Siphon a bunch out and reduce feeding by 75% and you should have a healthy number in probably 2-3 months or less. It would be both foolish and impossible to get them all out, outside of destroying the tank and as many have said you want some, just not this many. If it wasn't such an insane amount I'd say don't do anything but reduce feeding, but its already been mentioned so many could cause a die off. That's why I suggest remove a bunch you can see and then reduce feeding and see where the population is after a while.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do a RODI freshwater bath. That will destroy your bacteria. Instead do a high salinity bath. The worms will leave the rock. If you have sand in your tank, the worms are in there too.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Man alive- you need 2-3 of these arrow crabs right away which eat bristles exclusively

1600815429609.png

Bobblehead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember reading a while back where a member here had an infestation and made these traps with bait inside some pantyhose. Apparently the bristles get tangled up on the material so you can just pull the whole thing out worms and all.

Justanano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take an old pantie hose wrap a piece of shrimp in it.. rubber band it closed and in some knots.. the worms will get caught in it then just throw it away keep doing it until gone

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Y'all calm down a little. Those "fully grown" bristleworms on the first page are fireworms, which ARE pests. Bristleworms like these have a sting, but it's not severe, and you shouldn't be handling your rockwork bare-handed anyway. Common bristleworms are detritivores, that are frequently blamed for killing a coral because they ate it while it was dying.

You do have a ton, though. Manually remove some, maybe via siphon? And consider using clove oil to humanely kill them- you should have clove oil on hand anyway, in case something gets badly injured enough that it needs to be euthanized.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back