What the heck is this?

nibes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this going on my zoas today, any idea what it is? How should I treat it?

image.jpg

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oo, very nice! Tunicates tend to shrink up and disappear eventually for lack of food in most reef tanks, particularly newer ones, though I did have one that lived for a few years until a tank crash took it out. Hopefully yours does well.

Fun fact: tunicates, AKA sea squirts, are our closest non-vertebrate relatives. They have a primitive notochord as a baby, a bit like our spinal cords. Baby sea squirts are sort of like boneless tadpoles, little wiggling things with organs and brains and all, and then as adults they glue their heads to surfaces and turn into strange bags. They lose the brain and notochord, as those are expensive to maintain and not needed for an animal doing a decent mimicry of a sponge.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oo, very nice! Tunicates tend to shrink up and disappear eventually for lack of food in most reef tanks, particularly newer ones, though I did have one that lived for a few years until a tank crash took it out. Hopefully yours does well.

Fun fact: tunicates, AKA sea squirts, are our closest non-vertebrate relatives. They have a primitive notochord as a baby, a bit like our spinal cords. Baby sea squirts are sort of like boneless tadpoles, little wiggling things with organs and brains and all, and then as adults they glue their heads to surfaces and turn into strange bags. They lose the brain and notochord, as those are expensive to maintain and not needed for an animal doing a decent mimicry of a sponge.
I have soo many in my system. In fact some of them are starting to cover my coral :) though I have the transparent species. Helps that I feed phyto every other day

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back