What to do if my tank is wiped out?

Drewdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am having a parasite problem. I tried asking about what they could be but no one ever replied to my post. I lost one dwarf goby. Three chromis so far. My watchmen goby seems to be struggling now and my two clown fish are having fins deteriorating and have white spots under there skin. I have some snails and crabs in there as well. I don't have a quarantine tank to treat them properly. So I'm just hoping this meds Im using helps otherwise I'm going to lose everything. But what I want to know is if I lose everything, do u need all new liverock and substrate in there? I don't know the life of parasites after fish are gone and if they will just still be alive if i remove all water and substrate or what the correct process would be

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the answer depends on the source of the problem. If it's ICH, than it can live for months and pop back up. I am not an expert in fish medication, so let's call in #reef squad. Do you have pictures? Parameters? List of inhabitants? Size of tank, etc. These are some smart folks but they will need more information to assist.

OP
OP
D

Drewdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am having a parasite problem. I tried asking about what they could be but no one ever replied to my post. I lost one dwarf goby. Three chromis so far. My watchmen goby seems to be struggling now and my two clown fish are having fins deteriorating and have white spots under there skin. I have some snails and crabs in there as well. I don't have a quarantine tank to treat them properly. So I'm just hoping this meds Im using helps otherwise I'm going to lose everything. But what I want to know is if I lose everything, do u need all new liverock and substrate in there? I don't know the life of parasites after fish are gone and if they will just still be alive if i remove all water and substrate or what the correct process would be

Attachments

• 20210413_165222.mp4
    73.8 MB
OP
OP
D

Drewdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say the answer depends on the source of the problem. If it's ICH, than it can live for months and pop back up. I am not an expert in fish medication, so let's call in #reef squad. Do you have pictures? Parameters? List of inhabitants? Size of tank, etc. These are some smart folks but they will need more information to assist.
im leaving for work in a few minutes so i will do water test tomrrow i have just been busy this last week and of course thats when it happened. I have a 10 gallon tank. currently one green chromis i had 3. two clownfish and 1 watchmen goby. also about 6 hermit crabs and two nerite snails.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im leaving for work in a few minutes so i will do water test tomrrow i have just been busy this last week and of course thats when it happened. I have a 10 gallon tank. currently one green chromis i had 3. two clownfish and 1 watchmen goby. also about 6 hermit crabs and two nerite snails.
Hang in there.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallon tank with 6 fish is asking for trouble, not gonna say it’s not doable just harder lol , I’ve found with diseases / illness generally feeding healthy foods and vitamins goes a long way with aiding the fishes immune system, something you can try is loading yr fish food with selcon

OP
OP
D

Drewdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallon tank with 6 fish is asking for trouble, not gonna say it’s not doable just harder lol , I’ve found with diseases / illness generally feeding healthy foods and vitamins goes a long way with aiding the fishes immune system, something you can try is loading yr fish food with selcon
yeah the only thing i have used to add into my foods so far is some garlic stuff. never heard of selcon.

OP
OP
D

Drewdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at this point im assuming they will die some im wondering do i just throw away my live rock and substrate and start over if that happens? so i need new powerheads and a differnt filter?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at this point im assuming they will die some im wondering do i just throw away my live rock and substrate and start over if that happens? so i need new powerheads and a differnt filter?
Don’t give up lol , send us pictures to better help / identify illness so we can provide remedies , selcon is a vitamin enchancement and just overall benefits fish

OP
OP
D

Drewdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t give up lol , send us pictures to better help / identify illness so we can provide remedies , selcon is a vitamin enchancement and just overall benefits fish
i posted a video up there of my fish its hard to see the white spots in my pics or videos though

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank isn't wiped out yet. I'm sorry you're losing livestock. Give these guys as much information as possible. They'll be able to help but you need to do the on the ground work.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i posted a video up there of my fish its hard to see the white spots in my pics or videos though
I’m not a disease expert but looks like an internal parasite prazi pro / metroplex mixed with food would help clear the fish up and wouldn’t need a tank reset , just be ready to water change, clowns are hardy im hoping they all pull through

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I watched the video, I don't see any signs of an external parasite problem. The fish are breathing normally and there is no white slime or white spots that I can see. The water, however, looks cloudy. What is the water quality testing reading, especially ammonia?

Here is a link to helpful hints for posting a fish disease problem.

Also, you can tag me @Jay Hemdal so that I'll see the post.

Jay

OP
OP
D

Drewdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just an update my chromis now has a huge red sore on the side of him. so im assuming its urenema? sad because i dont have a seperate tank i can treat them in and i read that even taking all the fish out will not get rid of the parasite. any suggestions?

OP
OP
D

Drewdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just an update my chromis now has a huge red sore on the side of him. so im assuming its urenema? sad because i dont have a seperate tank i can treat them in and i read that even taking all the fish out will not get rid of the parasite. any suggestions?
I watched the video, I don't see any signs of an external parasite problem. The fish are breathing normally and there is no white slime or white spots that I can see. The water, however, looks cloudy. What is the water quality testing reading, especially ammonia?

Here is a link to helpful hints for posting a fish disease problem.

Also, you can tag me @Jay Hemdal so that I'll see the post.

Jay
any suggestions moving forward if i have urenema?

OP
OP
D

Drewdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• 20210415_162813.jpg
    20210415_162813.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 37

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does seem to be Uronema. People ask for cures for this, but there really isn't one now that chloroquine was taken off the market...sorry. Here is a link to my article on this scourge: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/uronema-red-band-disease-hemdal.788/

The clown and the goby don't seem to have Uronema though - they may have Amyloodinium, velvet, and that can be treated in a hospital tank with copper.

Did you ever post you ammonia level? I'm worried that water quality issues could be a contributing factor here....

Jay

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 131 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%

Back