What to invest in first, controller or media reactors?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be the outlier. Don’t buy either one yet. Invest in some great testing gear (Hanna, etc) buy your emergency spare parts (heater, pump), and take time getting to know your tank and what it needs (do you have a doser or replace filter socks with a roller system?). I’ve had my tank about a year and still test manually every three days. Just installed an Apex after spending a couple of months reviewing Apex and GHL. It’s a “nice to have” but certainly not a “must have”.

OP
OP
Chrispelletier62

Chrispelletier62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A "generic" media reactor can be used for carbon, bio-pellets, or GFO. GAC works in a bag; there may be benefits to a reactor. GFO also works in bag, but is better if there's a reactor to tumble it. I've never used bio-pellets so I don't know if it's required for those.

CO2 scrubbers, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors, and algae reactors are all their own beasts. You might be able to convert a generic reactor into one of those if you're a DIY type.
I use the built in rear sump. The skimmer is the Red Sea msk 900 skimmer. I have carbon bags and that is it right now. The plan is get the tank cycled and then add a dual reactor set up from BRS and run carbon in one and gfo in the other. And going for the Neptune apex with the trident system. Then I can test often and with the help of the two reactors I hope I’ll have some pretty good water before adding fish and coral.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be the outlier. Don’t buy either one yet. Invest in some great testing gear (Hanna, etc) buy your emergency spare parts (heater, pump), and take time getting to know your tank and what it needs (do you have a doser or replace filter socks with a roller system?). I’ve had my tank about a year and still test manually every three days. Just installed an Apex after spending a couple of months reviewing Apex and GHL. It’s a “nice to have” but certainly not a “must have”.

Good-evening,

Hope all is well. This question really needs to start at your skill level. If you are an experienced reefer I would say dealers choice. I am old and hate technology, so I say reactor:)

If you are newer, @mike550 I think had a great response. You have a new tank, and you are learning as well. It will be some time before you need to dose, but a great time to learn to manually test and understand the parameters. I will say I love reactors, but they always end up in my closet. I would go with Mike, start slow, manually test and dose as needed. Then you will know when it is time to upgrade.

If you are experienced, set up the trident to make life easy:D. Happy Halloween

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the built in rear sump. The skimmer is the Red Sea msk 900 skimmer. I have carbon bags and that is it right now. The plan is get the tank cycled and then add a dual reactor set up from BRS and run carbon in one and gfo in the other. And going for the Neptune apex with the trident system. Then I can test often and with the help of the two reactors I hope I’ll have some pretty good water before adding fish and coral.

I don't know if you want to start your tank with GFO.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if you want to start your tank with GFO.
+1 on this. I wouldn't start the tank with gfo. Only use it if you have a phosphate problem.

I'd get good test kits first. If you like gadgets maybe a controller, it's very convenient to have one device that you can turn things on and off. The only media reactor I have in regular use is for my carbon. The others are in a closet.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Media reactors would be my choice as they can be considered a building block of a reef tank. May not need them always, but are very nice to have when needed.

A controller is nice to have especially if your away a lot, but they are not always useful as well.
This is a solid advice. You need building blocks first then you start to controlling things. A solid sound structure is key to a healthy reef. Controller is important but chemistry is more important. But may be I am old school. ;)

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't currently use either, although I'm building a Reef Pi controller (but it's still a work in progress). First, I'd get a heater controller (Inkbird is a good inexpensive option). Second, I'd invest in a good set of test kits. Third, I'd get an ATO. Fourth, I'd get a RODI system. Fifth, I'd probably get a dosing pump for 2-part (although you won't need this until you get a bunch of coral growing). Lots of people on here seem to love their Neptune but I'll never buy another product from them after dealing with the costly repairs frequently involved to keep them running (GHL has a better reputation, and the new Hydros controllers look promising).

OP
OP
Chrispelletier62

Chrispelletier62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 7 stage RODI system, and Red Sea testing kit and refractometer. I have an ATO system. I could definitely get the ink bird thermometer controller..(good idea). I think the idea of manual testing is a good thing for me to get the rhythm of the tank. I’ll get a carbon reactor first then start with the fish and watch and enjoy for now. Corals will come later after I get the water and elements in check....thanks to everyone. I have had a lot of information to think about. I feel more comfortable with where I’m at and where I’m going now.
thanks to all !!!

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have them, I'd add some MP40's before either of those choices. Looks like you have a decent skimmer and RODI already. That said a dual BRS canister set isn't expensive and can run off a MJ powerhead.

OP
OP
Chrispelletier62

Chrispelletier62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have them, I'd add some MP40's before either of those choices. Looks like you have a decent skimmer and RODI already. That said a dual BRS canister set isn't expensive and can run off a MJ powerhead.
I do like the MO40’s! And the dual canister set is very affordable.
thanks, now I have more to think about....lol

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good-evening,

Hope all is well. This question really needs to start at your skill level. If you are an experienced reefer I would say dealers choice. I am old and hate technology, so I say reactor:)

If you are newer, @mike550 I think had a great response. You have a new tank, and you are learning as well. It will be some time before you need to dose, but a great time to learn to manually test and understand the parameters. I will say I love reactors, but they always end up in my closet. I would go with Mike, start slow, manually test and dose as needed. Then you will know when it is time to upgrade.

If you are experienced, set up the trident to make life easy:D. Happy Halloween
Thanks @Mastiffsrule.

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing to consider is the space under the cabinet wet/dry areas. Canisters will go inside the sump area. Dosers, elements and trident can go outside sump area if needed. I'm not sure what kind of workspace you have. A small canister might be your only option and makes the cost comparison from the two even more extreme. You can probably pick up a small canister setup for under $100. An Apex goes for $500.

I still believe that the epex, dose and trident saved many lives. It has solved my stability problems and I'm now able to keep pretty much anything. I'm still waiting for a trace elements, phosphate and nitrate auto tester, but I'm very happy with the main 3.

I've completely stopped using gfo since I use an algae scrubber and skimmer. I only use carbon for 2 weeks at a time. I leave at least a week before adding carbon again. Had a case of HLLE with a purple tang so I'm cautious now.

Just my approach.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to consider since your new, get to know the tank before you throw a controller on there. This way if the controller dies, or messes up you know how to go about fixing things. Where if you start with a controller and it goes haywire, you'll have no idea how to run the tank without it.

Great peice of technology that will greatly decrease your maintenance time, but get to know your tank first.

OP
OP
Chrispelletier62

Chrispelletier62

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more thing to consider is the space under the cabinet wet/dry areas. Canisters will go inside the sump area. Dosers, elements and trident can go outside sump area if needed. I'm not sure what kind of workspace you have. A small canister might be your only option and makes the cost comparison from the two even more extreme. You can probably pick up a small canister setup for under $100. An Apex goes for $500.

I still believe that the epex, dose and trident saved many lives. It has solved my stability problems and I'm now able to keep pretty much anything. I'm still waiting for a trace elements, phosphate and nitrate auto tester, but I'm very happy with the main 3.

I've completely stopped using gfo since I use an algae scrubber and skimmer. I only use carbon for 2 weeks at a time. I leave at least a week before adding carbon again. Had a case of HLLE with a purple tang so I'm cautious now.

Just my approach.
Thank you for your knowledge! I learn so much every day! I’ll probably do the apex with trident due to being able to really keep good water or at least good fast information so I can then get whatever else I need to correct issues I find with good testing.

LosReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to spin this up again but I like BRS and their videos. Very good information. This is one of the Apex videos.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back