What type of abalone do you think this is?

bigcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's shell has maintained a white color in the two months or so that I've had it. It has grown from about an inch to about two inches in this time. Any ideas are appreciated, I believe it to be a white abalone!
20230715_193018.jpg

OP
OP
B

bigcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a stomatella at first glance but when I inspected it when I first found it & it's easy to tell in person that it has 5 or so small pores going down that left ridge.. stomatella do not have this, right? This is the best shot I could ever get since it's so small right now. I'm hoping I can get confirmation it is an abalone at least since it has the pores.
1689478544808.png

OP
OP
B

bigcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what my guy "Slick" looks like (not an actual image, but he closely resembles this one).

96E58353-FA5F-4EEF-A7B5-F6E79C42F446.jpeg
That's a pretty cool one! Mine is exactly like this in shell shape with the holes, just white with no 'fringe' however it does have that sort of lip that comes over the shell that you can see in your image.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a pretty cool one! Mine is exactly like this in shell shape with the holes, just white with no 'fringe' however it does have that sort of lip that comes over the shell that you can see in your image.
Probably an abalone then. Yeah, when it eventually dies you end up with this super cool, iridescent shell...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 162 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back