What type of crab is this ?

Hagenjames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this guy and thought he was cool. Safe to keep with coral ?

OP
OP
Hagenjames

Hagenjames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go picking up crap that you find, you never know what left it there;) but seriously it looks like a land hermit to me, like the kind they sell in souvenir shops at the beach or in Pet stores. Where exactly did you find it?

OP
OP
Hagenjames

Hagenjames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't go picking up crap that you find, you never know what left it there;) but seriously it looks like a land hermit to me, like the kind they sell in souvenir shops at the beach or in Pet stores. Where exactly did you find it?

About 4 foot deep water on some jetty rocks.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 4 foot deep water on some jetty rocks.
I am still leaning towards a land hermit, which can't stay underwater indefinitely. I am going to wait for the crab experts to chime in though.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know anything about crabs..... yes, I came in here just to say that. LOL.
I was actually going to tag you in my last post, but the app wouldn't let me haha.i know there is someone here who knows their stuff on crabs, I just can't remember who it is:/

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a handful of specific types, but have never been well versed in the general population. I'm going to watch to see who pops in here for future IDing reference.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What area was the crab found in?

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Land hermit almost certainly. If you could get an up close mugshot, I could give you the species.

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.thatpetplace.com/hermit-crab-article

Here's some info that might be handy. So I would not put him in a reef tank as they need to come out of the water and would just end up dying. If you must keep him instead of returning him to the wild, then I would set up a tank just for him with a moist soil/sand mix substrate and things to climb on. They also need 2 water bowls, one with saltwater and one with fresh and misted twice a day to keep the humidity up. I can tank I pic of our hermit crab setup at work for inspiration if you want:)

OP
OP
Hagenjames

Hagenjames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.thatpetplace.com/hermit-crab-article

Here's some info that might be handy. So I would not put him in a reef tank as they need to come out of the water and would just end up dying. If you must keep him instead of returning him to the wild, then I would set up a tank just for him with a moist soil/sand mix substrate and things to climb on. They also need 2 water bowls, one with saltwater and one with fresh and misted twice a day to keep the humidity up. I can tank I pic of our hermit crab setup at work for inspiration if you want:)
I have already dropped him back off, also learned my lesson on putting any thing I find in my tank. Thanks again!

ReefQueen

Amphiprion Admirer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have already dropped him back off, also learned my lesson on putting any thing I find in my tank. Thanks again!
Good decision:) you're welcome, try not to pick up anymore crap (I'm sorry the title makes me giggle, darn autocorrect amiright haha)

Last edited:

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It must be really exciting to go out and be able to grab things to go in your tank.

OP
OP
Hagenjames

Hagenjames

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It must be really exciting to go out and be able to grab things to go in your tank.
While I was out today I saw about 15 needle fish, a basketball sized sea turtle, a lot of bait fish and a baby sheephead

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good dive (I think). I live in a land locked state, so that's beyond me.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back