What type of crab is this?

Zizzer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hitchhiker crab likes to hang onto rocks with his back 2 legs. He's a brownish Grey crab with bluish/purplish claws with red tips on the pinchers. His legs are a little hairy and appear stripped with darker shades of brown. He mostly digs around in the sand with its claws and eats some sort of debris that he finds in the sand. He only acts tough and holds his pinchers out when a bigger shrimp or snail gets close to him. Mostly hides under rocks close to sand and doesn't climb to high up any rockwork.
20230626_183739.jpg

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures are too grainy to tell, but that is a Gorilla Crab based on your description: "brownish Grey crab with bluish/purplish claws with red tips on the pinchers. His legs are a little hairy"

I have one in my tank that I caught and banished to the sump. Did it look similar to this:

Get rid of it. They'll eat corals, and possibly injure fish at night if they can catch any.

OP
OP
Zizzer

Zizzer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't say that it looks like a gorilla crab or a teady bear. It's hard to take a good picture because he runs away and I can't get that close. I will try to take a better picture. He was picking at the clove polyps when I first noticed him but he never killed any. He does look similar to the gorilla crab that you posted a video of but maybe not as hairy on his back/head and the colors were not the same as mine. That one looks red and white but mine is grey and brown. I also looked up some pictures of a gorilla crab on line and didn't strike me as being that from what i was looking at and definitely not a teddy. However, this one seems to be pretty young so maybe it'll be more apparent if he grows a little bit. I looked up mithrax too and that was just a huge list. Nothing dead yet though. I'd hate to get rid of him cause he's so cool and creepy looking.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 34 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back