What type of Urchin and it is reef safe?

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this little guy a couple of weeks ago and forgot what kink of Urchin it is. Please let me know what it is and if it is reef safe.

It has something on it that looks like it was alive. Can someone identify it please?

I like the little guy but it makes me nervous. It is currently sitting right above my only Anemone. I did move it off of one of my GSP's a few days ago.

Thanks a lot for your help

Phil

IMG_0865.JPG

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with James , Pincushion. Have had one for 12 years....yes 12.... No damage to any corals from it. Great urchin to have, Pencil Urchin I had for a few years as well... more of a bad rap sheet, back to LFS.... the Pincushion can be a bulldozer bit not in terms of diet, it just wants to bowl over a few things now and again... I encourage you to put up with the bulldozing lol..

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased this little guy a couple of weeks ago and forgot what kink of Urchin it is. Please let me know what it is and if it is reef safe.

It has something on it that looks like it was alive. Can someone identify it please?

I like the little guy but it makes me nervous. It is currently sitting right above my only Anemone. I did move it off of one of my GSP's a few days ago.

Thanks a lot for your help

Phil

IMG_0865.JPG
And as per what's on top of your urchin that's a Mushroom! If it came with, well thats a big score!
Honestly try not to worry, I've had Urchins for decades. They are not going to mow down all your corals. Patience....

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mushroom, and a snail shell!

Great little creatures, eat just about anything. If you love your coralline, your urchin loves it even more! Only real downside to them, they will pick up and carry most anything thats not nailed down. Heck mine has picked up and carried my rather large elegance(probably close to 2 pounds) around the tank as a "hat". So if you like your frags, keep them glued down!

Only thing I have noticed over the years of owning them, the pin cushion variety tend to not like our bright reef lights. As such they tend to hide during the day, and are very active at night, or while your lights are ramping down for the day.

I keep the coralline at bay in my tank by deploying urchins. I have 2 tuxedo's, and pin cushion in my 80G.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back