What will happen if I remove this algae covered rock?

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all! This might be a silly question but I want to remove this rock - pictured. It has 3 large Kenya Trees on it that shade everything below them and are stinging my yellow leather coral. The rock is also at the top of my scape and has quite a bit of bright yellow encrusting sponge on it but it also has a ton of hair algae. I pick it off and syphon it out of the tank all the time, but it grows back. I know I have had a phosphate issue in this tank and I have gotten it back down by running PhosGuard & feeding less. TBH, we all gained a little covid weight & the fishies in this tank were no exception. It was also my first tank and I was not a good judge of how much and how often I should feed. I have learned my lesson now, though.
My tank is a 1 1/2 year old 28g Nano Cube. My main question is if I pull this rock out and replace it with a clean piece of live rock that I’ve had cooking in the sump of another tank, am I going to cause any crazy swings? I have heard that Kenya Trees help to control nitrates and I just don’t want to cause anything crazy to happen.
Thanks in advance for the advice!

17BB168E-AB7C-402F-9871-EF988B80522C.jpeg 97C1FA81-14EA-42BB-B2D6-104F3888114D.jpeg 3872AB45-CEA5-49A8-B91D-DF077053D558.jpeg 54B5B774-E695-40EE-A4E1-B5A637246139.jpeg

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's a pretty thick patch of algae. I'm sure it's eating some nitrates and phosphates. Also the live rock is eating N & P's. I would try to clean the live rock. Take the rock out clean in a 5gal bucket then reuse your live rock. You might have to bucket clean it out the tank weekly, until you kill the source, via feeding, lights, weekly water changes. I would not replace it with dry rock. If you can source some clean live rock you would be better trading live for live.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's a pretty thick patch of algae. I'm sure it's eating some nitrates and phosphates. Also the live rock is eating N & P's. I would try to clean the live rock. Take the rock out clean in a 5gal bucket then reuse your live rock. You might have to bucket clean it out the tank weekly, until you kill the source, via feeding, lights, weekly water changes. I would not replace it with dry rock. If you can source some clean live rock you would be better trading live for live.
I agree & would prefer to swap it out for clean live rock. I have some in my sump now.
Do you think the Kenya trees are providing any benefit to the tank whatsoever? I’m more hoping to get rid of those without causing any issues.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back