• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

What would these be worth?

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have 2 fish that have outgrown their tank. One is a sailfin tang and the other is a yellow foxface. Purchased from live aquaria a few years ago and considered large I’m guessing over 6” I believe. Had the lfs offer only 90 for the pair. Thought that was very low. Thank you for any advice.

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember the lfs will have to care and find a customer with large enough tank for them. They may have them for weeks? Plus they will only give whole prices. Check your local area, club see if someone there might work with you. The worth price away from lfs is what that person is will to pay?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Each . . . Up to $50 each

U

User1

View Badges
Unfortunately you are at the mercy of whoever is going to take them from you. You are talking something not very rare so I'm leaning towards getting 30 to 40% even if that from a LFS trade. Also size doesn't really matter and many want smaller fish to begin with.

Before you take in the fish explore the area to see what the LFS is selling them for. Get an idea and this becomes your starting point or high water mark. Now look online from one or two sources. This is your low price marker.

Now you have the information and can shop around your fish for trade in. It isn't going to be just about price. It is going to be also about what goods they have so you can use your money to buy something else at a lower rate. Fish food, corals, hardware, etc. No need selling the fish to a store you don't want anything at. That makes no sense.

Explain what you are doing, their age, show the ware, let them offer a price. Now you know what they are selling for and can safely counter. They will have to decide yes or not. If they say no you can offer another price. Or let them know you are willing to trade for food, corals, or a different fish.

Nothing is set in stone in this hobby.

OP
OP
Tham121988

Tham121988

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately you are at the mercy of whoever is going to take them from you. You are talking something not very rare so I'm leaning towards getting 30 to 40% even if that from a LFS trade. Also size doesn't really matter and many want smaller fish to begin with.

Before you take in the fish explore the area to see what the LFS is selling them for. Get an idea and this becomes your starting point or high water mark. Now look online from one or two sources. This is your low price marker.

Now you have the information and can shop around your fish for trade in. It isn't going to be just about price. It is going to be also about what goods they have so you can use your money to buy something else at a lower rate. Fish food, corals, hardware, etc. No need selling the fish to a store you don't want anything at. That makes no sense.

Explain what you are doing, their age, show the ware, let them offer a price. Now you know what they are selling for and can safely counter. They will have to decide yes or not. If they say no you can offer another price. Or let them know you are willing to trade for food, corals, or a different fish.

Nothing is set in stone in this hobby.
They said they would sell the sailfin for 90 and the butterfly for 60.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a small credit at a LFS is normal as they need to flip it for a profit. The same would happen with corals.

Smaller fish seem to sell faster too. Probably because they are cheaper and because of
how often we see a post "can I put this fish in this tank, I plan to upgrade or bring it back to the LFS".

U

User1

View Badges
Yeah, honestly to me I would take it knowing I provided a health fish to someone. I recently had to do this with my Lavender tank who decided to become a murderous ******* towards my Copperband one fine day. I believe I paid for bucks for it online from LA/DD and they offered me 20. Whatever, threw it to the food fund :)

It is always a tough call but honestly comes down to you. I personally do not see myself ever making money back on fish unless it is something like a Gem tang or otherwise limited and/or difficult fish to keep.

scubasteve020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have 2 fish that have outgrown their tank. One is a sailfin tang and the other is a yellow foxface. Purchased from live aquaria a few years ago and considered large I’m guessing over 6” I believe. Had the lfs offer only 90 for the pair. Thought that was very low. Thank you for any advice.
Does the fox face have the black spot , I would say for the salfin if he looks in good condition you could get like 75 I think they normally go around 145 ish for that size at full price. Since stores have to take care of it till they resell it would usually get have price value

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.4%
Back