Whats the best/recommended way to add new lights??

SmyrnaReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have new bulbs on the way for my tank. what is the best way to add bulbs without shocking the corals. i have read different ways to do this. is it best to add 2 bulbs wait a few days, then add 2 more, then wait 2 more days to add the last 2 bulbs. wait longer, shorter, is there a need to wait. this is for T5s

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that when adding the same bulbs, there is no reason to acclimate. But since you are adding different ones, I would do what you were thinking. Add a couple of new ones for 2 days and so on...

SaltWaterDave

NEPA Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I add new bulbs I do it over the course of a few days and change out 1 bulb at a time and keep going until all the bulbs are changed out.

OP
OP
S

SmyrnaReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that when adding the same bulbs, there is no reason to acclimate. But since you are adding different ones, I would do what you were thinking. Add a couple of new ones for 2 days and so on...

yeah but they would be different intesities even though they are the same... new versus 1 year old bulb arent the same?? i order 14 ATI bulbs, hopefully they work, my PAR on the sand bed just by adding a coule of bulbs i had laying in the closet that i hadnt used yet, and wouldnt you have guessed, my welsos were "fluffy" all day....

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand that, I have only replaced 2 at a time once, and then added the last 2, one at a time. So I guess you could go 1 or 2 at time.

I would take out 1 bulb out of each fixture, and replace them, wait 2 days and so on...

commonstranger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also cut back on hours of use per day. I usually do that when I add new bulbs espically halides. I only run mine 6 hrs a day though. I only use T5 and LEDs for actinics

mixer911

Make them green with envy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ummm, Jay you have a par meter, did you test your par before and after changing the bulbs :wink:

You will have to either move then fixture up or reduce the lighting cycle time like rhett suggested.

OP
OP
S

SmyrnaReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Havent got the new ones yet and I did test the old ones (currently in the fixture) and they were so bad I won't mention numbers. Just putting the spares in from the closet made a huge difference in par and I only added 2 6500k bulbs. Looking forward to my new set of ATI bulbs

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the par was that bad, your corals are going to start growing out of the water after you put them in...

OP
OP
S

SmyrnaReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know, I'm kind of excited... Let's just say it was like 100 just under the surface

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well let me hold into the 2 rainbow brains for you so you won't have to worry about them. :p

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 119 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back