What's this weird stuff on sand?

moneyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since I started dosing vibrant cleaner this stuff has built up on my sand. I clean it out but it's back to it's fullest in a few days. What is it and how do I get rid of it?

17093975275696622024869240915213.jpg 17093975570664674987370297923855.jpg

LuanFutemma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have a Cianos, did you test the water parameters? like Phosphates and Nitrates?
Also, how old is the system?

OP
OP
M

moneyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have a Cianos, did you test the water parameters? like Phosphates and Nitrates?
Also, how old is the system?
Nitrate are a bit high. The tank is about 3 years old but we moved the tank to a new house and only 50 % of the water and a few rocks about 8 months ago.

LuanFutemma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate are a bit high. The tank is about 3 years old but we moved the tank to a new house and only 50 % of the water and a few rocks about 8 months ago.
OK.
So, move the aquarium is probably the main reason for the cianos, ( i've did this a few times - i have to move 3 times on the last 3 years :downcast-face-with-sweat::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: )
When you move a tank, you mix the sand, with goods and bads, and realease the mostly of that on the water column, so, you have a explosion of nutrients and other things...
Your goal is to lower the nutrients, you said your Nitrates it's a little bit higher, but probably your phosphates is higher than nitrates - it's common when you have cianos.
You did dose Vibrant, it's very common to have a ciano outbreak when you use a Vibrant.
Best thing to do for now, it's try to control it with a siphon ( use a the tiny air hoses or something like that ) to manually remove the cianos and check if a something is causing a increase on the phosphates and nitrates.
More parameters tests also help to check what else is recommended.
But for now, just remove them the mostly that you can and also take care of the stability and increase of nutrients.
Also, don't dose or dose a minimum if needed, any type of aminos or high protein concentrated coral foods, because you gonna feed the cianos.

Hope you get ride of this soon...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back