Whats this?

toomanymatts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty small. Slug looking thing with a v tail. You can see pods around it for size.

20220415_205109.jpg 20220415_205107.jpg

mynd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is red planara (I think that is how it is spelled lol) flatworm. This is why we dip our corals and quarantine them. I am not sure if there is a better option today but in the past we would use flatworm exit to get rid of them. You want to do this asap, because once they multiply you have to take precautions in getting rid of them otherwise you could kill your corals. If there are not to many of them then I would just vacuum them out. There could be better solutions in 2022, so wait to see if anyone else chimes in.. Good luck

OP
OP
T

toomanymatts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No corals yet. I started the tank in February. Lost the two damsels in there due to ich. So I spent time building up clean up crew and fighting off the dinos in there. I have one more round of cuc to add today then I'll start the fallow clock and quarantine the fish this time. Add corals after that, but plan to quarantine them too.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely a Convolutriloba sp. of flatworm. Generally harmless, but can become a nuisance if they become abundant. I've always had a handful in my systems and they've always been fine. If you start seeing the red ones, they're more likely to be problematic, but the clear ones are generally benign.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back