What's Up with this Monti (did not get good ID from store)

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had this guy for about 1 week now as a browned out frag as a test for my newly set up nano. When the polyps are hidden it's greenish, although it's pretty brown. Any idea if this is a monticap or confusa? Either way the polyps are always out and I never see the base anyways. Do you guys think the polyps will be brown forever? Or is this much polyp extension abnormal?

IMG_1547.JPG

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had this guy for about 1 week now as a browned out frag as a test for my newly set up nano. When the polyps are hidden it's greenish, although it's pretty brown. Any idea if this is a monticap or confusa? Either way the polyps are always out and I never see the base anyways. Do you guys think the polyps will be brown forever? Or is this much polyp extension abnormal?

IMG_1547.JPG
I think it’s a forest fire digitata. It looks very happy in that spot flow wise, it might want more light, it looks shadowed. It should be green body white tips, orange polyps.

OP
OP
J

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned down the lights to get a picture. Normally it's not shaded. But I was actually thinking to keeping it lower light maybe I'll just leave it there then if it will appreciate more light.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed that it's M. digitata of some type..

rawrsean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like M. Samarensis (which the hobby mistakenly calls M. Digitata 9/10 times). I agree. More light! Mine LOVES light and will get very pretty for you.

OP
OP
J

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a good ID on it from some locals after it colored up and began to ramify. It's M. spongodes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back