Where’s the cycle?

DesktopReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I started out my new 2 gallon reef in a jar 5 days ago. I started it with new water, 4 lbs. cured CaribSea LifeRock (more details below), and a couple pounds of CaribSea Live Sand. I know test strips aren’t the most accurate, but it’s all I have right now. Another note, the strip doesn’t have an ammonia test. I’ve been testing daily since day one and have yet to see any detectable amount of nitrite or nitrate. I’m guessing I should add some fish food and test for another week to see if nitrites ever show up?

As for the rock, it is the CaribSea LifeRock product, but it was “curing” in a large tank that was plumbed to the other real life rock. I know it’s at least somewhat mature because there is a ton of hard green algae, hitchhiker snails, an Asterina star, and some small feather dusters. The rock was transported in a large plastic bag with a couple inches of water and was out of the tank for about an hour.

At this point, I would have expected at least a little bit of die off and for nitrites to start showing up? I’m guessing it’s either still stuck at ammonia and I’m going to have a longer cycle, or there was very little die off and I need to add a small ammonia source and keep testing?

33F60AEA-1E41-48AA-BFC2-73FE0C86B5E7.jpeg 34D366EF-D09D-4BEF-AA69-77161613983B.jpeg

JachPot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think you need some source of ammonia to start seeing nitrates if that rock is entirely cured. In a jar that small I wouldn't expect a cycle? I've never had a tank that small.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 140 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.1%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back