Which Protein Skimmer Should I Buy Royal Exclusive or My Reef Creation?

Which protein Skimmer should I purchase?

• MRC® Pro-II™ Protein Skimmer rated at 1000-2000 gallons

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Bubble King® DeLuxe 400 external at 264-1056 gallons

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • MRC® Pro-II™ Protein Skimmer rated at 1000-2000 gallons with custom Abyss Pump

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

JaysLittleOcean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title says I'm looking for other individuals thought on which protein skimmer should I purchase for my setup. I have a 600 gallon SPS with LOTS of fish and I feed heavy and would rather go large on this next purchase.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None on your list. Get a LifeReef Skimmer. It takes me 5 minutes to clean the cup at the laundry sink. Every now an then I wipe the Throat out. Body doesn’t need to be cleaned unless something really weird happens with your aquarium. They can be used with any standard pump, as long as it meets the GPM. I use a Simplicity 1000 on both mine. No Needle wheel needed. Also the Air is Pulled from the Cup. Not only does this make it silent, if the cup fills up, it shuts off with minimal affluent going back into the aquarium. If you are not using a LifeReef Sump, you may need a sturdy Frag Rack to elevate it.

55NEVER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am partial to MRC because I have seen the build quality in person, and you can get it with an abyss pump now. Expensive now, but peace of mind for atleast 10yrs with pump warranty. I run a RO 300 on my tank and it's a monster. Have you looked at the Reef Octopus Sro -8000? Also, might wanna look at total power consumption because it does matter on total operating cost of the tank.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None on your list. Get a LifeReef Skimmer. It takes me 5 minutes to clean the cup at the laundry sink. Every now an then I wipe the Throat out. Body doesn’t need to be cleaned unless something really weird happens with your aquarium. They can be used with any standard pump, as long as it meets the GPM. I use a Simplicity 1000 on both mine. No Needle wheel needed. Also the Air is Pulled from the Cup. Not only does this make it silent, if the cup fills up, it shuts off with minimal affluent going back into the aquarium. If you are not using a LifeReef Sump, you may need a sturdy Frag Rack to elevate it.
And depending on how much overhead you have you can add an extension.

Pyrogens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With your options listed, I'd go MRC 1000-2000.
I sit in the camp of don't oversize. MRC in my opinion is the better buy over Bubble King.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back