Which test kits do you guys like?

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its amazing how quickly this hobby seems to be moving. I've only been out maybe 2 or 3 years, but a LOT seems to have changed, including test kits. "Back in my day", Salifert was recommended all the way around, but I think that's changed a bit of late.

What are you guys using and why did you choose them? IE, which do you think are the best? :)

Brandon

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna checkers for ALK and Phos
Salifert for Calcium and Mag

I dont test anything else....

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thanks, Chris. Have you had any issues with the Hanna checkers?

I find it interesting that you don't test for nitrates. Why do you not test for it?

Thanks for the reply!

Brandon

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issues at all with the hanna checkers. They are so easy to use, that you will actually test. LOL

I do have a sailfert test kit for Nitrates, but havent used it in over 2 years. I watch my corals, if they start to look bad I check my phosphates, if they are low, then I know my N03 might be as well. I might test for phos about every 3-4 months.... Its the beauty of running bio pellets.

But I do test my ALK on a regular basis and the hanna checker process takes a total of about 60 seconds tops for a digital read out. Cant beat it.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Hanna Checkers. Alk and Phosphate. I also test Nitrates and Ca with salifert kits.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Red Sea Reef Pro Foundation kit. Would love to give the Hannah's a try, maybe come tax return I will. I usually make 1 big investment at that time :)

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the same as dowtish. Also keep seachem calcium test kit and red sea that does nitrate, phosphate, ph, calcium, and alk as a backup incase numbers look off

Last edited:

shellynjason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna checker for P04
Salifert for Calcium, Alk, Mag, Nitrate, PH

guess I'm not testing for accuracy just consistency with these hobby grade kits. I test all at least twice a week (day before water change and day after water change) because I have OCD *smile*

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Thanks for all of the replies!

Brandon

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had good results with Redsea.

islander84

Island Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a test to compare the new Red Sea Reef Foundation test kits with Salifert and they were almost spot on. I use Salifert and Red Sea for Mg, Ca, Alk I use Hanna for Alk, PO4. I like to mix it up and sometimes I test the same param with 2 different kits to ensure accuracy.

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with the majority....Red Sea for Mag and Ca. Hanna for Alk and PO4. I rarely check for PO4 or salinity unless things don't look right. I don't check for nitrates either. With chaeto and dosing Microbelift Special Blend, I have found there is no need. The beauty of your reef finally stabilizing...lol

How can you tell what the reading is on Salifert? I have tried it, but the colors are so pale it leaves me unsure of my numbers. Wait, I may be thinking of Seachem.

Last edited:

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Pro for all test kits. I measure ALK//CAL/MAG weekly and check my phosphates and nitrates every few months. Kind of like what Chris said, just test when my corals "tell" me too.

I use an API test kit to spot check my ALK mid-week from time to time to give me an idea of where its at.

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, Connie, I believe you are thinking of Seachem. The beauty of Salifert kits is that instant color change... no comparing tints of colors! :)

Brandon

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back