White alge explosion plz help ...

dannyx31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there fellow reefer, I'm having kind of a problem I recently did a water change to the tank its a fusion 15 g from IM aio system and also replaced the filter sock for a floss chamber ,so did the water change and next morning I noticed some small hairs of like white alge ,tested the water and everything was fine amonia 0 nitrites and nitrates 0 ph at 7.8 and salinity 35 ppm so clean the tank but it just keeps coming..
IMG_20230816_160550.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there fellow reefer, I'm having kind of a problem I recently did a water change to the tank its a fusion 15 g from IM aio system and also replaced the filter sock for a floss chamber ,so did the water change and next morning I noticed some small hairs of like white alge ,tested the water and everything was fine amonia 0 nitrites and nitrates 0 ph at 7.8 and salinity 35 ppm so clean the tank but it just keeps coming..
IMG_20230816_160550.jpg
The white stuff looks like a bacteria growth.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought too because it was the same stuff that I had in the ending of the cycle of this tank but I put the sock back in and it all cleared up
Bacteria typically grow like this when fed organic matter. What might you be adding?

Colton Yuchnewicz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you test your water before you make it for water changes? or if you buy from a fish store have you checked TDS?

from my experience, new tanks always have multiple Alge outbreaks. they eventually go away with good husbandry.

OP
OP
dannyx31

dannyx31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria typically grow like this when fed organic matter. What might you be adding?
Nothing, the tank was fine I just did a 10% water change and took out the filter sock and swap it out with a chamber to hold filter floss , next morning the tank was full of that white stuff , I been blowing it off for two days and it always comes back but now I put the sock back on and it clears out ???

OP
OP
dannyx31

dannyx31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you test your water before you make it for water changes? or if you buy from a fish store have you checked TDS?

from my experience, new tanks always have multiple Alge outbreaks. they eventually go away with good husbandry.
I buy it from a fish store that gets water straight from the ocean , I double test the water before.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing, the tank was fine I just did a 10% water change and took out the filter sock and swap it out with a chamber to hold filter floss , next morning the tank was full of that white stuff , I been blowing it off for two days and it always comes back but now I put the sock back on and it clears out ???
A real mystery then.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it’s the filter floss if it disappears when you put the sock back on. Let’s see if @vetteguy53081 has an idea.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
IMG_20230816_160550.jpg
Please post a pic under white light intensity for clear i.d.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Could be that its growing on the sock which has a lot of fibers and surface area. When I had an air freshener in the same room and couldn't figure out why it was growing my filter pad was totally covered in this and slimy. You're possibly just giving it surface area to grow somewhere else, like an algae scrubber. Bacteria and algaes will always grow on the easiest medium.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks to me as fibers/fibrous but best way to confirm is to remove all by hand and see if they reappear which turns to bacterial

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When I remove it it does come back
How did you clean rock prior to introducing it to tank?
I recommend adding bacteria at 1.5ml per 10 gallons using MicroBacter 7 or XLM in which this good bacteria will fight bad bacteria and what even may be algae trying to form as you may notice is at the surfaces closest to the light which may also need to be reduced as its quite bright.

OP
OP
dannyx31

dannyx31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you clean rock prior to introducing it to tank?
I recommend adding bacteria at 1.5ml per 10 gallons using MicroBacter 7 or XLM in which this good bacteria will fight bad bacteria and what even may be algae trying to form as you may notice is at the surfaces closest to the light which may also need to be reduced as its quite bright.
The rock I cleaned it with bleach then left at the sun for a whole week then left if in a bucket of salt water testing for any ammonia to see if anything was breaking down did that for a whole week , I have micro7 im going to start dosing, the light I have it at 40% it's just phone Camara makes it look pretty bright.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back