White Balancing Issues in Raw

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally got around to taking pictures of my zoas in RAW format. The conditions from what i have read were exactly what i needed and i feel like the pics are pretty decent to work with. The problem is that i still really don't know how to edit them properly. I tried Picasa and ViewNX but honestly i feel like i won't ever achieve the photo i want which is what the look like in person. I can't post them here since they are in raw format but I can email a few of my photos to see if any experts can help. Maybe the photos aren't good for editing...honestly i have no clue but it is very frustrating to take pictures with the blue leds on.
I am using a D3100 and the files are NEF.

Thanks for anyone that can help!! :hail:

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have access to photoshop? i use cameraraw that comes with it and it simple and works great.. there are a bunch of howto's for camera raw on youtube..

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No i don't have Photoshop so i don't have many options there. I am using a Windows computer at work but I have a Mac at home so i am wondering is iPhoto could help or maybe i should spring for Photo Elements...just not sure it's necessary to spend to money on a program for my corals LOL!

Here are a couple of my pics...mind you they are just converted from Raw NO EDITS at all...just so people have an idea what i am working with.

Bam Bams

DSC_0398.jpg

Fruit Loops

DSC_0397.jpg

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come on....somebody's gotta feel me pain here and help. At least let me know if these pics are worth it or if i need better ones in order to edit. I feel like i am getting closer.

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol... cant really tell.. the blue is soo blue that i can tell how sharp the focus is..

are they daylight pics, or actinic?

caudill187

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you taking those under LED's. I have given up on getting the color balance correct under LED's....lol

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Nikon D300s. I am not an expert, but have found that setting the white balance to 10000k (the highest color temperature available on my camera model - yours may go higher) works best for me on tanks w/very blue actinic or LED lighting. You should then be able to make adjustments using Nikon's ViewNX to further refine the white balance. I have found the "Use grey point" option under white balance to be very useful.

ViewNX doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles. If it were me, I would go ahead and spring for Photo Elements.

Using a remote flash can also help cut through the blue. HTH

-Terry

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol... cant really tell.. the blue is soo blue that i can tell how sharp the focus is..

are they daylight pics, or actinic?

The focus is the best i have gotten with actinics. I can get good daylight photos but the colors arent as vivid with the blue LEDs.

Are you taking those under LED's. I have given up on getting the color balance correct under LED's....lol
I am starting to get to that point but i have noticed that i am getting better....hoping it will just one day happen LOL.

I have a Nikon D300s. I am not an expert, but have found that setting the white balance to 10000k (the highest color temperature available on my camera model - yours may go higher) works best for me on tanks w/very blue actinic or LED lighting. You should then be able to make adjustments using Nikon's ViewNX to further refine the white balance. I have found the "Use grey point" option under white balance to be very useful.

ViewNX doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles. If it were me, I would go ahead and spring for Photo Elements.

Using a remote flash can also help cut through the blue. HTH

-Terry

Thanks i will mess around with the white balance setting and see what i can do. I was using manual mode with no flash. 400 iso f/6-7 How do you use the remote flash?? I noticed my camera can use a flash different ways....Slow or rear. Would those help?? I figured no flash was best.

As for the grey point - Is that on the camera or the program View NX??

With View NX I open the Picture Control Utility (which says it is opening without Active D lighting applied - no clue what that is)
Then i mess around with the Manual Adjust but there is no grey point. Just a set White point and a black point

Maybe i should stick to daylight photos only :(

Question: Would a dimable LED light be able to utilize some white Leds and blue LEDs so i can take a good picture while still capturing the vivid colors from the blue LEDs?? I guess i will try it out when my new light gets here....sorry i am rambling!!

Last edited:

BeakerBob

Moderator / Lab Rat
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are shooting in the Manual Mode and are familiar with it, try this: meter the exposure 1st, then see what the settings are for 1/60th of a second. Open the flash and set the camera in Manual Mode to 1/60th second and 1 f/stop HIGHER than what was metered.

For instance, let's say your camera is telling you that in the Manual Mode, you should set it at 1/60 second @ f/8. Open the flash and set the camera to 1/60 @ f/11. Look at the picture to see if it took care of the blue cast to your taste. If not, set the camera to 1 f/stop higher, 1/60 @ f/11. At some point, the flash and the ambient LED light will balance out and you will get a satisfactory picture that is color balanced. Keep the camera white balance in the daylight mode. NOTE: shoot slightly above the coral at a downward angle to get rid of the flash back.

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple of screen shots from ViewNX that might help. Please excuse the poor quality image I used in the example. I was just trying to grab something quick. :bigsmile:

This first shows the unedited RAW image:
wb_example1.jpg

The second shows the image after the white balance adjustment was made:

Attachments

• wb_example2.jpg
    wb_example2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are shooting in the Manual Mode and are familiar with it, try this: meter the exposure 1st, then see what the settings are for 1/60th of a second. Open the flash and set the camera in Manual Mode to 1/60th second and 1 f/stop HIGHER than what was metered.

For instance, let's say your camera is telling you that in the Manual Mode, you should set it at 1/60 second @ f/8. Open the flash and set the camera to 1/60 @ f/11. Look at the picture to see if it took care of the blue cast to your taste. If not, set the camera to 1 f/stop higher, 1/60 @ f/16. At some point, the flash and the ambient LED light will balance out and you will get a satisfactory picture that is color balanced. Keep the camera white balance in the daylight mode. NOTE: shoot slightly above the coral at a downward angle to get rid of the flash back.

Bob - thanks for the detailed help. I will give it a try this over the weekend. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple of screen shots from ViewNX that might help. Please excuse the poor quality image I used in the example. I was just trying to grab something quick. :bigsmile:

This first shows the unedited RAW image:
wb_example1.jpg

The second shows the image after the white balance adjustment was made:

Okay I see it now. I was going to file launch picture Utility. I didn't even see the tabs on the side. I will try playing with these again later. Thanks!!

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I see it now. I was going to file launch picture Utility. I didn't even see the tabs on the side. I will try playing with these again later. Thanks!!

Your welcome! The white balance on my camera was set to auto in that example, so I thought it would be a good one for you to see.

Mike&Terry,

Thanks for the insight. I will try your steps.

Your welcome!

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am finally starting to get better with the ViewNX. I was a little busy this weekend with a ridiculous video :wink: LOL

Anyway here is my first attempt. Finally feels right!! Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for there help!!

Original
DSC_0385.jpg

Color Adjusted
DSC_0385-1_01.jpg

Cropped!
DSC_0385.jpg

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much..... Better

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back