White furry stalks and a weird root with long tentacles coming out??

yasminer917

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these new things that just popped up in my tank and I have no idea what they are.

My hammerhead also looks like this?

Please help!

Temp: 81 degrees
All nitrates: 0
Ammonia is <.1
PH is 8.0
Salinity 1.027
Calcium: 400 ppm
phosphate: <.2
Alkalinity: 9

IMG_8365.jpeg IMG_8366.jpeg IMG_8367.jpeg IMG_8368.jpeg IMG_8371.jpeg IMG_8369.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The white tubes are pinapple sponges (Sycon genus), and they're harmless filter feeders - they tend to boom then bust in population before going away on their own. The other white thing in the first few pics with the multiple tentacles coming out of the central stalk looks like a "pest" anemone ("Aiptasia") - so you may want to remove that one (most would likely suggest you do).

That hammer is in bad shape, and the other coral visible in the background of a few of the pics is looking pretty rough too. My usual suggestions are to check the flow and lighting for the coral, but 0 Nitrate with 0.2 Phosphate seems off to me. So, here's a bunch of questions that could be useful here:

-What equipment (pumps, powerheads, etc.) are you using for flow in the tank?

-What lights are you using, and what settings and schedule are you running on the lights? Any idea how much PAR that hammer is getting?

-What test kits are you using?

-How big is your tank (what are the dimensions of the tank)? How old is the tank?

-What fish and inverts do you have in the tank? What are you feeding the tank and how often?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back