White Fuzz on Rocks

ReefJedi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have white fuzz growing on my rocks. Seems to affect only the top of the rocks (facing the light) but only on rocks towards the bottom fourth of my tank. Can’t figure out what it is.

d1e44ede9e5e11f03fe3b31df0b463a4.jpg

6ebf518eeb6cafe6a23ff5d7bf630d7c.jpg

a9af4c53f0a50533e96c841fa98f6681.jpg

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank?
Was it filled with tap or RODI water?

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than likely, and based on how much algae you have on your rocks too, it's a bacteria overgrowth. Possibly a fungus, but I don't think so... An easy way to test this, is with methylene blue. Pull out a chunk of it, and dip it into the methylene, or smear some on it; if it's fungus it will stain blue, whereas bacteria will not.

OP
OP
ReefJedi

ReefJedi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using RODI, 0 TDS.

Tank is about a year old but I bought it two months ago. It was neglected for a few months by the previous owner and it had this fuzz back then too.

Methylene blue? If it figure out it's fungus what should I do? Scrub it?

Mike.P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using RODI, 0 TDS.

Tank is about a year old but I bought it two months ago. It was neglected for a few months by the previous owner and it had this fuzz back then too.

Methylene blue? If it figure out it's fungus what should I do? Scrub it?

It's a chemical that's used for testing, but can also be used as a supplement/treatment for marine tanks, so it should be available at just about any LFS; if not, just get it on Amazon. If it's fungus, there are antifungal treatments that you can start... In any case, I have a feeling that your nutrient load is pretty high, maybe due to over feeding, not enough filtration, etc., so you should look into that as well. That's typically what causes these blow ups. With how much green algae you have on your rock, I think that's your underlying issue.

MelnTam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does yours look like this because I'm having trouble Identifying it also Tank pic.jpg

Attachments

• Tank video.mp4
    4 MB

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 34.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back