White slimy stuff coming out of my clam...is it dying?!?

tdowning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some help identifying what's going on w/ this clam.

Thanks

IMG_7337.JPG

IMG_2897.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry to say, but yea, it may be a goner.

OP
OP
tdowning

tdowning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry to say, but yea, it may be a goner.
That's what I was thinking...and that's sad. It was so great to watch it open and close throughout the day. Should I remove it from the tank so it doesn't cause any other damage to anything else?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I was thinking...and that's sad. It was so great to watch it open and close throughout the day. Should I remove it from the tank so it doesn't cause any other damage to anything else?
No, The cuc looks like its going to clean that up for you. I actively look for stuff like that at Lfss. Had several pop up in my tank out of nowhere too.(there's one in a birds nest colony right now.????, I grew it from a single stick)

One thing I do is to not strain frozen foods, regularly blow detritus off the rocks, non aggressive carbon(no reactors), and a refugium.

Thats a bummer. That was a nice size.

OP
OP
tdowning

tdowning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, The cuc looks like its going to clean that up for you. I actively look for stuff like that at Lfss. Had several pop up in my tank out of nowhere too.(there's one in a birds nest colony right now.????, I grew it from a single stick)

One thing I do is to not strain frozen foods, regularly blow detritus off the rocks, non aggressive carbon(no reactors), and a refugium.

Thats a bummer. That was a nice size.
Yeah..the cuc is all over it :( I don't strain frozen foods, which i feed the fish 2x per day, and I do blow detritus off rocks when i do wc's. My parameters have been in check for the whole tank's life so I'm not sure what I could've done differently to stop the clam from dying but alas, live and learn! thanks for your help again...I love how active you are in the forums and helping out so many people. i can only wish to pay it forward as i continue to gain knowledge in the hobby and more newcomers enter it!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah..the cuc is all over it :( I don't strain frozen foods, which i feed the fish 2x per day, and I do blow detritus off rocks when i do wc's. My parameters have been in check for the whole tank's life so I'm not sure what I could've done differently to stop the clam from dying but alas, live and learn! thanks for your help again...I love how active you are in the forums and helping out so many people. i can only wish to pay it forward as i continue to gain knowledge in the hobby and more newcomers enter it!
hmm. I hate not knowing why....

And thanks. You'll be paying it forward too. Most reefers do.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 108 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.5%
Back