White slug-like thing

wwarby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed this little critter on the glass of my tank a couple of times recently. It’s about an inch long and seems to just amble around slowly like a snail? Get rid or leave it alone?

12A944C3-B5DB-4309-A4ED-28011F006E74.jpeg 6E2E907A-EB29-4F31-8F05-BF24C2B76BCE.jpeg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed this little critter on the glass of my tank a couple of times recently. It’s about an inch long and seems to just amble around slowly like a snail? Get rid or leave it alone?

12A944C3-B5DB-4309-A4ED-28011F006E74.jpeg 6E2E907A-EB29-4F31-8F05-BF24C2B76BCE.jpeg
That's a nudibranch, probably a Dermatobranchus sp., but a top down pic of its back would be helpful for ID.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Cant see clearly on phone screen but may be caulerpa slug. Remove and discard

OP
OP
wwarby

wwarby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nudibranch, probably a Dermatobranchus sp., but a top down pic of its back would be helpful for ID.
Thanks - I'd say this image of the species you mentioned is very close to what I'm seeing with my eyes but can't quite capture on my phone. I'll try to get a better picture if I can yank it out of the tank for a minute tomorrow, but assuming that's the right ID, should I keep it? I have inverts and corals that I don't want eaten, but I won't remove it if it poses no threat.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I'd say this image of the species you mentioned is very close to what I'm seeing with my eyes but can't quite capture on my phone. I'll try to get a better picture if I can yank it out of the tank for a minute tomorrow, but assuming that's the right ID, should I keep it? I have inverts and corals that I don't want eaten, but I won't remove it if it poses no threat.
The Dermatobranchus genus is known for eating octocorals (soft corals, gorgonians, etc.) and/including GSP, so if you have softies/GSP, that’s likely a remove nudibranch.

Yotero6933

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Dermatobranchus genus is known for eating octocorals (soft corals, gorgonians, etc.) and/including GSP, so if you have softies/GSP, that’s likely a remove nudibranch.
I have the same nudibranch in my tank and I’ve never put corals in there yet it has been alive for over 2 months. It has to be eating something else in order to sustain itself right?

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no...something that eats GSP...the horror...
sarcastic-kirk.gif

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same nudibranch in my tank and I’ve never put corals in there yet it has been alive for over 2 months. It has to be eating something else in order to sustain itself right?
Do you have any pics of it under white light (preferably straight-on, top-down pics of the slug's back and straight-on side pics both showing the full length of the slug under white light)?

I ask because a lot of nudibranch's (and other marine life) can look incredibly similar.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pics of it under white light (preferably straight-on, top-down pics of the slug's back and straight-on side pics both showing the full length of the slug under white light)?

I ask because a lot of nudibranch's (and other marine life) can look incredibly similar.
If I'm not mistaken, some nudibranch species are photosynthetic. Maybe that's what @Yotero6933's nudibranch is doing?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I'm not mistaken, some nudibranch species are photosynthetic. Maybe that's what @Yotero6933's nudibranch is doing?
Some species (such as Berghia stephanieae) can steal some of the zooxanthellae from their prey and temporarily use them as a food source/for photosynthesis, but it is temporary. This generally only works for a few days though (for B. stephanieae, it only lasts 8 days without food containing more zooxanthellae before the zooxanthellae they've stolen die off).* So, it could delay starvation, but it's really more of an emergency supply than a permanent food source for nudibranchs.

That said, I'd guess the slug they have is either a different species that looks similar but has a different diet, or was somehow only recently introduced to the tank.

*Source:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back