White stringy poo after Prazipro treatment.

Galeno rocha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
I have a new tank and did and preventive prazipro treatment at the recommended dose before transfering the then asymptomatic fish to the new system.
Now, about a month and a half later, one clown fish is showing stringy white poo. I already have coral in the tank. should I treat again with the prazi pro? another medication? in tank or in hospital tank?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
I have a new tank and did and preventive prazipro treatment at the recommended dose before transfering the then asymptomatic fish to the new system.
Now, about a month and a half later, one clown fish is showing stringy white poo. I already have coral in the tank. should I treat again with the prazi pro? another medication? in tank or in hospital tank?

I would treat all fish with General Cure soaked with focus and some frozen food. Food thawed fist in a cup, and GC and focus. Let sit for 5 mins and spot feed them.

Keep this up for 10 days.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat all fish with General Cure soaked with focus and some frozen food. Food thawed fist in a cup, and GC and focus. Let sit for 5 mins and spot feed them.

Keep this up for 10 days.
Agree, simply dosing prazi in the water column does little to nothing for internal pathogens.

OP
OP
G

Galeno rocha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the active principle in general cure? I'm afraid I can't source it locally.

kwall737

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
Is your clown eating?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a similar problem with a clown, but he stopped eating right before i started the GC + Focus. Any other recommendations?
So he's not eating at all?

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a similar problem with a clown, but he stopped eating right before i started the GC + Focus. Any other recommendations?

Yep. I had a maroon clown do the same thing. I ended up OT’ing it and treated the water with metroplex. After a few days, the clown passed enough parasites and got its appetite back. I immediately switched to feeding metro-soaked foods and didn’t have a problem after that. I think it was so full of parasites that it just didn’t have any internal space to take in food.

kwall737

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. I had a maroon clown do the same thing. I ended up OT’ing it and treated the water with metroplex. After a few days, the clown passed enough parasites and got its appetite back. I immediately switched to feeding metro-soaked foods and didn’t have a problem after that. I think it was so full of parasites that it just didn’t have any internal space to take in food.
Ok awesome, that’s good to know! I don’t have Metroplex, but have General Cure (which i believe is part Metro) - thinking that should work to dose water in a qt as well? While in QT, we’re you feeding your clown medicated food or just normal food until he would start eating? Appreciate your help!

kwall737

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So he's not eating at all?
No even tried regular pellets (not medicated), and then medicated pellets and frozen brine shrimp. Eats a bite every now and then, but minimal over the last 4 days. Sounds like i need to pull him out and qt with General Cure dosed water

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No even tried regular pellets (not medicated), and then medicated pellets and frozen brine shrimp. Eats a bite every now and then, but minimal over the last 4 days. Sounds like i need to pull him out and qt with General Cure dosed water
Its possible that the water that contains general cure (which contains prazipro) is causing appetite suppression. One side effect of prazi is reduced appetite. I would get them out of the prazi water to get him eating again.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok awesome, that’s good to know! I don’t have Metroplex, but have General Cure (which i believe is part Metro) - thinking that should work to dose water in a qt as well? While in QT, we’re you feeding your clown medicated food or just normal food until he would start eating? Appreciate your help!
General cure will work fine. Every time I fed, I would start off with a few frozen brine shrimp (2-3) and see if the clown was interested. If it wasn’t, I siphoned out the uneaten food and whatever bits of detritus was on the bottom of the tank while I was at it. No sense in letting it rot in there. When the clown sucked down a single brine shrimp, I immediately mixed up the remaining half cube of frozen brine with metro (I believe general cure can work too for food soaks) and focus to bind it (important) and fed the QT.

kwall737

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its possible that the water that contains general cure (which contains prazipro) is causing appetite suppression. One side effect of prazi is reduced appetite. I would get them out of the prazi water to get him eating again.
Actually my clowns and yellow wrasse are in a smaller tank i have (13.5 gal) that I’m using as an observation qt until my main tank is up and running and cycled, so haven’t dosed GC into the water because i have live rock and a cuc in there - only used GC mixed with Focus and their food, so should be reef safe. Was going to pull the clown with white poop out and put in a separate smaller tank to dose water with GC to hopefully help him clear some of the parasites and start eating like @Crustaceon said above.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back