White stuff peeling off my mollie

Eoka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this mollie for awhile and I've qt all my fish but recently this guy has been less active and I just noticed him sitting on this rock. Anyone know what this is?

Attachments

• 20230409_191506.mp4
    9.3 MB
  • 20230409_184406.mp4
    8.1 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've had this mollie for awhile and I've qt all my fish but recently this guy has been less active and I just noticed him sitting on this rock. Anyone know what this is?
Mollies are very susceptible to bacterial and fungal infections and Will have to be treated which can be accomplished by:
Freshwater bath
Epsom salt bath
Maracyn 2 for 5 days in a separate tank

OP
OP
E

Eoka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mollies are very susceptible to bacterial and fungal infections and Will have to be treated which can be accomplished by:
Freshwater bath
Epsom salt bath
Maracyn 2 for 5 days in a separate tank
But this won't effect any of my other fish?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
But this won't effect any of my other fish?
It should not but would not be bad to treat them OR you can safely treat Molly with Reef safe Ruby Rally Pro which will treat all fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Molly is breathing really fast. Are any of the other fish breathing this fast?
Jay

OP
OP
E

Eoka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Molly is breathing really fast. Are any of the other fish breathing this fast?
Jay
Should I put him in my qt I have a tang and fire hawk in there rn but the tang has ich so might be worse

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I put him in my qt I have a tang and fire hawk in there rn but the tang has ich so might be worse

Did the tang and the hawkfish originally come from the tank the molly is in? If not, I wouldn't risk it since those fish have ich and we aren't sure what the molly has.

Jay

OP
OP
E

Eoka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did the tang and the hawkfish originally come from the tank the molly is in? If not, I wouldn't risk it since those fish have ich and we aren't sure what the molly has.

Jay
Well I'm screwed if my mollie had something contagious because he was in my dt. I'll be keeping a close eye on them but I'm pretty sure the mollie was just getting bullied so it than get a fungal infection

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm screwed if my mollie had something contagious because he was in my dt. I'll be keeping a close eye on them but I'm pretty sure the mollie was just getting bullied so it than get a fungal infection

Just to try and point you in the right direction - external fungal infections, common to freshwater fish, are rare to non-existent in marine fish (salt is actually a cure for that issue). The molly has an external bacterial infection - but that rapid breathing worries me - it could be that the bacterial infection has become systemic, involving the entire fish, but there could also be another issue going on with the molly at the same time.

Jay

OP
OP
E

Eoka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to try and point you in the right direction - external fungal infections, common to freshwater fish, are rare to non-existent in marine fish (salt is actually a cure for that issue). The molly has an external bacterial infection - but that rapid breathing worries me - it could be that the bacterial infection has become systemic, involving the entire fish, but there could also be another issue going on with the molly at the same time.

Jay
Yea I get that but if the fish is getting bullied which I've seen in less active and hiding in a corner lately the heavy breathing would make sense. I'll keep an eye on my other fish for sighns of heavy breathing.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 181 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back