Who ate my trumpets (if that's what they're called?)

All-in Salt Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! This is my first salt tank and I purchased most of the set-up including the live rock and fish from someone who was getting out of the hobby. I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with 2 things:

1. I can't recall what the purple soft grass-like growth is called on the rocks. I remember the seller saying something like purply polyp? I also don't know what is on the rock in the middle. I think some sort of trumpet? They're really neat and have a great glow when the lights go to blue light near bedtime.

2. Sadly...someone ate all of those little trumpets! Over the course of about 2-3 days, they've cleaned off every single one of them! I'm assuming they'll eventually grow back, but I'm not sure who ate them and if they could get sick. I have seen both my blue hippo tang and the dogface puffer nibbling several weeks ago, but nothing recently. Does this mean I may not be feeding them enough or is it just normal?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
20240315_185312.jpg

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know, dog face puffers are not really reef safe. Sometimes you get lucky with em, but there is a high likelihood they will eventually sample something. In my experience tangs are very unlikely to touch coral.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The middle rock looks like palys or zoas. And unfortunately both the blue tang or the puffer may eat them. Yes, feeding more could potentially help them stop but some fish will just nibble. It depends on where your preferences are whether the fish or coral are more important to you and then you make decisions and figure out whether you regime the fish to save the coral. Best of luck!

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As far as I know, dog face puffers are not really reef safe. Sometimes you get lucky with em, but there is a high likelihood they will eventually sample something. In my experience tangs are very unlikely to touch coral.
My blue hippo is a zoa lawnmower and likes to taste trachys and scolys. She’s awesome but not to be trusted around soft, meaty corals.

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't doubt you. Can happen with blue tangs. But I doubt this is common behavior. At least I don't see a lot of complaints about it. Puffers on the other hand....

Tripod1404

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! This is my first salt tank and I purchased most of the set-up including the live rock and fish from someone who was getting out of the hobby. I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with 2 things:

1. I can't recall what the purple soft grass-like growth is called on the rocks. I remember the seller saying something like purply polyp? I also don't know what is on the rock in the middle. I think some sort of trumpet? They're really neat and have a great glow when the lights go to blue light near bedtime.

2. Sadly...someone ate all of those little trumpets! Over the course of about 2-3 days, they've cleaned off every single one of them! I'm assuming they'll eventually grow back, but I'm not sure who ate them and if they could get sick. I have seen both my blue hippo tang and the dogface puffer nibbling several weeks ago, but nothing recently. Does this mean I may not be feeding them enough or is it just normal?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
20240315_185312.jpg
They will not grow back.

OP
OP
All-in Salt Tank

All-in Salt Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The middle rock looks like palys or zoas. And unfortunately both the blue tang or the puffer may eat them. Yes, feeding more could potentially help them stop but some fish will just nibble. It depends on where your preferences are whether the fish or coral are more important to you and then you make decisions and figure out whether you regime the fish to save the coral. Best of luck!
Thanks! Sounds like the fish win! The coral came with the tank and, although it was cool, I really just want to focus on fish for now.

OP
OP
All-in Salt Tank

All-in Salt Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure
My blue hippo is a zoa lawnmower and likes to taste trachys and scolys. She’s awesome but not to be trusted around soft, meaty cor

My blue hippo is a zoa lawnmower and likes to taste trachys and scolys. She’s awesome but not to be trusted around soft, meaty corals.
Thanks. I'm not sure Dorey is innocent! She's like a machine at feeding time and races around the tank gobbling up everything she can get like Mrs. PacMan!

OP
OP
All-in Salt Tank

All-in Salt Tank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a pic of what's left and who I think the culprit may be! She's smiling because she's nice and full! :)
20240408_171239.jpg
20240408_171209.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hepatus or puffer my suspect. As a test, you can set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Review the video and see who it may be

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 80 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back