Who else keeps the api test strips just for quick shots?

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I use and have all the Red Sea test and yes I use them on the regular but, I also keep the simple dip strips on hand just for quick test.

I don't break all the test out every day but I do tend to just swab one around every now and then during the week just for a quick glance.

I agree nobody should rely on them for overall health but for a quick shot I find they do a pretty good job if I want a quick glance. If the Nitrates register or the alk looks off I can always pull out the big guns but, for a quick evening test I enjoy them.

Yes, yes I pay attention to the corals and such too.. don't make this a "horrible way to check your tank" thread but just seeing if anyone else likes to have them on hand for just simple glances.

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i personally use these

IMG_7600.png

found them to be resourceful
between full parameter tests…

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use the Aqua Vital or whatever their name is. Love them. I don’t need the precision that’s involved with the bigger kits for 95% of my testing. I just double check my Trident with the strips. Close enough has worked for more than a decade

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys ever compare the alk they claim to a real kit?

I’m not sure how it is even possible to measure both seawater and freshwater alkalinity with the same strip, even if it somehow it works for freshwater.

OP
OP
Mr. Roboto

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys ever compare the alk they claim to a real kit?

I’m not sure how it is even possible to measure both seawater and freshwater alkalinity with the same strip, even if it somehow it works for freshwater.

I mean, it's not a pinpoint but I just dipped one and the KH mg/L come out above 120 and below 180. That's a huge range but that is where it's always at on the color spectrum. After converting mg/L to DKH you get (140-7.8dkh, 160-8.9dkh) it's a quick enough glance for a guess. My Alk is usually at 8 something. I don't tend to chase the points as much as I do the whole numbers so... I mean, it doesn't seem that bad off.

Again it's just a quick glance and not a real test but heck, I can't even get Red Sea test to give me an exact while constantly looking at it to see if it's green or gone strait to yellow.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back