Who should I add to my tank?

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi friends! I have a Proclear Prostar 150 - about 120g DT and 25g sump with a fuge containing some MarinePure cubes and a block, along with a large ball of chaeto.
The dimensions of the tank are 4’x2’x2’.
Currently, I have a pair of Mocha Storm clowns, a small Tomini Bristletooth Tang (about 2”), a baby Blue Tang (about 1 1/2”), a Yellow Tail Cleaner Wrasse & a Black Capped Jawfish. Don’t worry - the Blue tang can be rehomed to my nephew’s 7’ tank as he gets older and maybe too big for this setup. (Or maybe by then I’ll go bigger - don’t tell hubby lol)
I am planning to also move my 3” Yellow Coris Wrasse into this tank as he’s outgrowing his current tank.
The tank does not have many corals yet, but is planned to be a mixed reef. I have moved some of my larger colonies and will move a couple more as the tank ages.

Long story short, what fish would you add to this tank, if any? I would like to add a sand sifter of some sort. I do have a Red Sea DIY net cover on this tank. I’m basically around my tank all day so frequent feedings are not a huge issue.
Edit: one of my bucket list fish is a male Melanarus Wrasse - but I don’t know if it would play well with the other two wrasse that would be in the tank.
I need any advice or suggestions.

Picture of the tank is attached - please ignore all the frags in the sand. Not sure where everyone is going yet.

image.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Flame angel or Banghai cardinal

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want multiples, Chalk Basslets, Indigo dottybacks, Resplendent Anthias (if you are ready for those), yellow cardinals, Seal Cardinals are a few I can think of.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you want multiples, Chalk Basslets, Indigo dottybacks, Resplendent Anthias (if you are ready for those), yellow cardinals, Seal Cardinals are a few I can think of.
I keep seeing Chalk Basslets at my LFS and I really like them. I have added a Royal Gramma since my original post though. I think I have heard that you really can’t mix Basslets… any thoughts on that?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Shrimpgoby of your choice and a tiger pistol shrimp. Might not see them much, but they aren't much bioload, and they're fascinating to watch.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Flame angel or Banghai cardinal
I’ve been thinking of shutting down or restarting my 28g tank and moving the 4 fish in there to the 150. My Yellow Coris Wrasse is still in there, as well as a Purple Firefish, Tailspot Blenny and a large single Banggai, so that idea might be perfect! I don’t want to overload the tank though.

I also have a rather large Coral Banded Shrimp that I’m considering putting in my Hawkfish tank. They’re both jerks, so either they can be jerky companions or one will be lunch. Sad, but the CBS actively goes after the fish now.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watanabe, Bellus, or Japanese Tiger swallowtail angel. I love this group of angels.

Oh, and I like your aquascape btw.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll second the suggestion of a Dwarf Angelfish. In order of tolerance towards other Dwarf Angels: Coral Beauty, Flame and Midnight (highest to lowest)

As you asked about the Melanarus Wrasse, I have one and it gets along great with the Sixline, Red Coris and Cleaner Wrasse (and everyone else as well).

Mandarin Dragonets are also a great addition provided you get a fat, healthy one and have enough rock to support a good copepod population (otherwise monthly doses of Tiggerpods can get expensive). If you get two, make sure one is a female - otherwise they’re gonna fight and potentially kill each other.

Addendum: I currently have 24 fish in my tank, including 3 clownfish, 2 dwarf angelfish and 2 dottybacks. The dwarf angelfish did not get along at first, and it took them a few weeks to “sort it out”. Same with the dottybacks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll second the suggestion of a Dwarf Angelfish. In order of tolerance towards other Dwarf Angels: Coral Beauty, Flame and Midnight (highest to lowest)

As you asked about the Melanarus Wrasse, I have one and it gets along great with the Sixline, Red Coris and Cleaner Wrasse (and everyone else as well).

Mandarin Dragonets are also a great addition provided you get a fat, healthy one and have enough rock to support a good copepod population (otherwise monthly doses of Tiggerpods can get expensive). If you get two, make sure one is a female - otherwise they’re gonna fight and potentially kill each other.
Thanks for the feedback on the wrasses and angels!
Also, I have been really wanting a Mandarin. I have a pair of Ruby Red Dragonettes in my Fluval Evo 13.5 and they are FAT. There’s a huge population of pods in there and they’re also both eating frozen.
I definitely have to get the population in this tank boosted a bit before I could keep a Mandarin long term. One LFS near me does have two baby Biota Mandarins though, as well as a baby Marine Betta. Those are so cool too, not planning on that though. I think the Biota Mandarins eat frozen and pellets already?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to my LFS, the Mandarin Dragonets will likely kill the Ruby Red (Scooter) Dragonets. I never mixed them for this reason so I can’t say with any certainty if this is in fact the case, just thought I’d pass that cautionary note along.

Marine Bettas are super cool. I have one and it’s very relaxed and easy going (mine is probably 3.5-4”). Being primarily nocturnal, though - it’s going to spend a lot of the day in caves or in the shade.

Addendum: Don’t feel bad about your shrimp. They’re nicknamed “Coral Banded A**holes” for a reason. If you keep them well fed they’ll generally leave things alone. They will get used to hand feeding, but they really like caves. So if that’s something you don’t have, you may find that the addition of a cave can really change their personality overnight.

The Flame Hawkfish wants/needs/craves a ledge to perch on. As in, he will make it his mission in life to secure one. I just use a nano frag rack on the side of my tank. He’s up there all day long. Watching, waiting...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
According to my LFS, the Mandarin Dragonets will likely kill the Ruby Red (Scooter) Dragonets. I never mixed them for this reason so I can’t say with any certainty if this is in fact the case, just thought I’d pass that cautionary note along.

Marine Bettas are super cool. I have one and it’s very relaxed and easy going (mine is probably 3.5-4”). Being primarily nocturnal, though - it’s going to spend a lot of the day in caves or in the shade.
That’s good to know on the Marine Betta. The young one they have is gorgeous so maybe I’ll do some research on that guy. I’m a night owl, so nocturnal fish wouldn’t be bad for me.
And on the Dragonettes, I’m definitely not going to mix them. My pair of Rubies is very happy in their little tank. The Mandarin would go into the 150, but that’s where I need to bump the pod population up. :)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can sometimes train your Manadrin Dragonets to eat frozen in addition to copepods. They may even prefer it at some point. Both of mine eat the following: Calanus, Nutramar, R.O.E., brine shrimp, bloodworms and mysis shrimp. The male will (on occasion) even swim up to the top of the tank and participate in the ‘feeding frenzy’, and he also samples the occasional seaweed snack and pellet or flake (apparently the latter is almost unheard of, and my LFS keeps asking me to get it on video for them).

Addendum: The food I listed is something that can be introduced along with copepods, and I usually mix with a drop of garlic guard and feed with a feeder/pipette (usually in a small cloud above them so they can ‘hunt’ it as it descends).

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male mandarin killed another male that I thought was a female, and my male ruby red was about to kill another ruby red that I ordered online that was supposed to be female but was male.

the male mandarin and male ruby red get along fine though.

these males of the same species seem to never work out

tailoftwogobies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep seeing Chalk Basslets at my LFS and I really like them. I have added a Royal Gramma since my original post though. I think I have heard that you really can’t mix Basslets… any thoughts on that?
we just picked up a chalk basslet today to add to our tank, its acclimating now. but what a cool looking fish! we have gobies, clowns and a solid fun clean up crew. excited to see how this fish does with our squad.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back