Why are magnets bad for reef chemistry ?

Benjamin28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are magnets bad for the reef tank?

I have read many threads where individuals blame magnets for all kinds of misery. I am getting ready to make some magnetic accessories for my tank but I want to be prepared for my consequences if I fail to adequately protect them from poisoning my tank.

I am looking for real explanation and not assumptions please. Also what chemical would I or can I test for to measure a magnets affect on the tank.

Thank you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about samarium cobalt magnets

I hate to be stubborn but I am looking for a reference book, journal or chart that shows or explains the toxic effects of these elements. If it’s a long explanation I don’t need it posted, I just want to know where to read to get the full in-depth answer.

I think you need to dial back your expectations.

The full in depth answer will come by looking up the toxicity of every metal that is in your possible magnets (which likely will not be known to a buyer) to every organism you keep or intend to keep. Anyone claiming it us simpler than that is not providing a complete answer.

You will not find a summary table in any book. You’d need to read lots and lots of scientific papers , and most organisms you keep will have no such data available.

Upvote 0

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The full in depth answer will come by looking up the toxicity of every metal that is in your possible magnets (which likely will not be known to a buyer) to every organism you keep or intend to keep. Anyone claiming it us simpler than that is not providing a complete answer.

You will not find a summary table in any book. You’d need to read lots and lots of scientific papers , and most organisms you keep will have no such data available.
Not to mention toxicity changing as something starts to oxidize and corrode or the way it interacts in sw. So many variables.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Benjamin28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you for managing my expectations. I don’t like it but need it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Benjamin28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to mention toxicity changing as something starts to oxidize and corrode or the way it interacts in sw. So many variables.
I get that, I was just hoping to find articles on these specifics because I don’t like usually like doing something just because someone else said. But I get many metals have a negative effect. I am going to do this the smart way like folks have suggested but I am still going to search. Maybe university articles that focus on husbandry or marine biology.
thanks

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that, I was just hoping to find articles on these specifics because I don’t like usually like doing something just because someone else said. But I get many metals have a negative effect. I am going to do this the smart way like folks have suggested but I am still going to search. Maybe university articles that focus on husbandry or marine biology.
thanks

If you find such summaries, let me know. I’ve written articles on a variety of toxic chemicals to reef tanks and always look up the original data myself. It is very time consuming and never applies to more than one organism at a time.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks

This first article of mine (below) shows the flaw in looking for someone to tell you what level of a chemical is OK and what level is not. Lots of folks give lots of different opinions and even number claims relating to nitrite toxicity in a reef tank, Most of it is incorrect. When you dig into the real data, nitrite toxicity is low and high variable. The amount needed to kill marine organisms ranges from tens to thousands of ppm (shown in my article), and yet many hobbyists articles claim it should be "undetectable". Live aquaria makes that unjustified claim.

Nitrite and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Benjamin28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This first article of mine (below) shows the flaw in looking for someone to tell you what level of a chemical is OK and what level is not. Lots of folks give lots of different opinions and even number claims relating to nitrite toxicity in a reef tank, Most of it is incorrect. When you dig into the real data, nitrite toxicity is low and high variable. The amount needed to kill marine organisms ranges from tens to thousands of ppm (shown in my article), and yet many hobbyists articles claim it should be "undetectable". Live aquaria makes that unjustified claim.

Nitrite and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

I like the way you wright. Also just read your article on DIY Alk testing. Do you have a book? Or is searching your articles on the web the best way to read through your explanations of the hobby.
I haven’t had a reef in 17years. Do you have a reading list posted somewhere so I can catchup without staining at YouTube or a computer screen ?

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the way you wright. Also just read your article on DIY Alk testing. Do you have a book? Or is searching your articles on the web the best way to read through your explanations of the hobby.
I haven’t had a reef in 17years. Do you have a reading list posted somewhere so I can catchup without staining at YouTube or a computer screen ?

Thanks.

Most are linked here:

Some links may have changed. Google the article title and you'll find them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Benjamin28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

Most are linked here:

Some links may have changed. Google the article title and you'll find them.
Thank you

Upvote 0

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that if most impellers have ceramic ferrite magnets, then they should be relatively reef safe. Normally, you don't hear that somebody used a generic pump for their ATO and it crashed their tank. Still, they all have an impeller with a magnet. I imagine all of them are ferrite ceramic magnets made of Fe, Barium, Strontium compounds. By the way, all of those elements show low on my ICP...

I have some mini float switches that I would like to use in some dosing containers (Ca, KH, Mg, Vinegar), but discovered that the float has a magnet ring exposed. The magnet is black, almost certainly cheap ceramic ferrite magnet. Do you think it would be safe? First of all, they are not going to be in salt water. Second, they will not be in constant friction (unlike impellers). Would it be safe?

Here's a pic of the float in which the magnet ring can be seen.

15150239-E2B3-4C77-9910-DA73D12BFE03.JPG

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ave some mini float switches that I would like to use in some dosing containers (Ca, KH, Mg, Vinegar), but discovered that the float has a magnet ring exposed. The magnet is black, almost certainly cheap ceramic ferrite magnet. Do you think it would be safe? First of all, they are not going to be in salt water. Second, they will not be in constant friction (unlike impellers). Would it be safe?

I don't know, but I agree it is prudent to be concerned.

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that if most impellers have ceramic ferrite magnets, then they should be relatively reef safe. Normally, you don't hear that somebody used a generic pump for their ATO and it crashed their tank. Still, they all have an impeller with a magnet. I imagine all of them are ferrite ceramic magnets made of Fe, Barium, Strontium compounds. By the way, all of those elements show low on my ICP...

I have some mini float switches that I would like to use in some dosing containers (Ca, KH, Mg, Vinegar), but discovered that the float has a magnet ring exposed. The magnet is black, almost certainly cheap ceramic ferrite magnet. Do you think it would be safe? First of all, they are not going to be in salt water. Second, they will not be in constant friction (unlike impellers). Would it be safe?

Here's a pic of the float in which the magnet ring can be seen.

15150239-E2B3-4C77-9910-DA73D12BFE03.JPG
If you cannot find a better option, you can coat the magnet with epoxy... Just be sure to check it occasionally to make sure the magnet is still encased.

Upvote 0

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a difference between regular metal causing rust vs Magnets? I recently had some rust go in my 540 system volume by using a rusty tongs that was just dripping orangey juice into the tank few times before I really took it of the top of the eurobrace to inspect. I left it there because alot of water gets stuck in there. The same water was probably just corroding away between uses and I was too naive to realize what was going on today. Hopefully I am fine since my 8 month of system is starting to go into a postive direction and this could be a setback.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a difference between regular metal causing rust vs Magnets? I recently had some rust go in my 540 system volume by using a rusty tongs that was just dripping orangey juice into the tank few times before I really took it of the top of the eurobrace to inspect. I left it there because alot of water gets stuck in there. The same water was probably just corroding away between uses and I was too naive to realize what was going on today. Hopefully I am fine since my 8 month of system is starting to go into a postive direction and this could be a setback.

Yes, there's a difference, but both are a concern. "Regular metal" rusting may well be more risky than a magnet, IMO.

Upvote 0

Rimsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My concern would not be the iron but any other alloy metal that could be present.

Upvote 0

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there's a difference, but both are a concern. "Regular metal" rusting may well be more risky than a magnet, IMO.
Yeah hopefully its no impact. So far so good just have to wait and see. Doing a 120 gallon waterchange bc its due but wish i could do a 50%. Hopefully chemipure and gfo does its job and removes any thing harmful. I may even use my 5 micron for good measure.

Upvote 0

mattb2989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to bring this thread back up. On an icp found climbing levels of copper zinc and nickel.

Still just about in safe readings but my favia was starting to die off. Sent an icp and investigated. Pulled everything.
Couldnt find anything untoward on pumps etc. Put in a new 3d printed frag rack few weeks ago. Decided to destroy it and look how the magnets are

Attachments

• 20230416_014239.jpg
    20230416_014239.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230416_014235.jpg
    20230416_014235.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230416_014230.jpg
    20230416_014230.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230416_014210.jpg
    20230416_014210.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230416_014207.jpg
    20230416_014207.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230416_014204.jpg
    20230416_014204.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230416_014201.jpg
    20230416_014201.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230416_014147.jpg
    20230416_014147.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230416_014029.jpg
    20230416_014029.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230416_014003.jpg
    20230416_014003.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230416_013944.jpg
    20230416_013944.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230416_013938.jpg
    20230416_013938.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230416_013855.jpg
    20230416_013855.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 16
Upvote 0

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back