Why are my nitrates 0?

dejaknu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised my nitrates are still at 0 despite no water changes for 2 weeks. I was doing weekly 10% before then. I have a 13.5 fluval with: 1 YWG, 1 pistol shrimp, 8 blue legged hermits and 7 snails (3 zebra turbos, 4 Astraea), a week old torch coral frag. I feed everyday, even a bit extra because the hermits go wild for my fish pellets. I have a thin film of algae that appears on the glass but the snails eat it so quickly the tank practically looks perfect, except a patch here and there. That said, my rocks have turned a greenish tint. Is it the algae? Is that bad? Thanks!

bjc451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like typical dry rock start up. I would not do any yet. Let the tank go through it’s maturation. If you are wanting something to do start a pod culture.

OP
OP
D

dejaknu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like typical dry rock start up. I would not do any yet. Let the tank go through it’s maturation. If you are wanting something to do start a pod culture.
Thanks for the reply. You mean don't do any water changes yet? You're right about the dry rock (and caribsea dry live rock stuff) and it is a new tank. Somehow I do have a bunch of pods who must have come with my snails, I guess. How long do you think I should wait/what's next?

bjc451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20-30 nitrates and when phosphates get .03-1ppm. Is what I’m shooting for my tank is about 4 months. I ended up chging 100% post cycle. I did a 50% then 2 weeks later 40% then one week after that 10%. Now I haven’t done one for 2 months.

OP
OP
D

dejaknu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20-30 nitrates and when phosphates get .03-1ppm. Is what I’m shooting for my tank is about 4 months. I ended up chging 100% post cycle. I did a 50% then 2 weeks later 40% then one week after that 10%. Now I haven’t done one for 2 months.
I thought nitrates should stay below 10ppm and phosphate should be as close to 0 as possible. Can you explain why you aim for these numbers specifically? My tank is in its 3rd month and had nitrates before but it seems like the water changes and maybe now this algae have brought them down.

bjc451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrates are coral food. And if you have no nitrates and no phosphate you are setting yourself up for Dino

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought nitrates should stay below 10ppm and phosphate should be as close to 0 as possible. Can you explain why you aim for these numbers specifically? My tank is in its 3rd month and had nitrates before but it seems like the water changes and maybe now this algae have brought them down.

My recommended range is 1-10 ppm nitrate and 0.02 to 0.05 ppm phosphate, with higher levels better than lower levels due to the risk of dinos.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 11 19.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.8%
Back