Why Can't Anyone Automate Hanna's ULR Phosphate Test With Similar Accuracy?

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a huge fan of Hanna's ULR Phosphate test; I think I have tried pretty much all of the other hobby-grade PO4 tests on the market, and find it to be more accurate than any other. My confirmation bias led me to many of the respected reefing guru's who also agree that it is the most precise PO4 test available to hobbyists.

My question then becomes - why can't this be automated? I'm not aware of any automated testing system out there that is capable of either a) using Hanna tests in an automated fashion, or b) testing PO4 in some other automated way with accuracy that compares to Hanna ULR.

In my mind, it's tank water, some powder, and a light sensor. I do not doubt that the technology and science behind it is very complicated an intricate, but the actual manual process of taking tank water, zeroing out the sensor, adding powder, and re-measuring has got to be easily replicable on an automated basis.

PO4 remains the main variable that I personally care about most (after alkalinity, which can easily be tested automatically with the Trident, KH Director, and many other ways), and I would be willing to pay a meaningful premium to test PO4 automatically with similar precision to the Hanna ULR.

I'm interested to hear if anyone has thoughts on why this isn't achievable yet.

Thanks!
-Scott

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though not Hanna compatible, this may help.

OP
OP
S

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Reefer Matt I've looked at the ReefBot many times, but it doesn't seem to be able to facilitate the Hanna ULR Phosphate/Phosphorus tests. I have no doubt that the ReefBot is great, but I'm hoping for something that can automate a test that is as accurate has Hanna ULR for PO4.

I was surprised that the Ion Director didn't have PO4 testing; it is the sole reason that I didn't buy it. If it had, and it's accuracy rivaled Hanna, I would have been purchased it twice over (despite the painfully long wait that folks are experiencing).

I don't have insight into the technology and chemistry that the Hanna ULR utilizes, but I'd welcome insight from someone who does as to why it can't be replicated automatically.

OP
OP
S

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@hiluxhobbit thanks for the note I have never heard of the Reef Factory Smart Tester. After a very quick look, I wasn't able to find any reviews or further information on it, aside from a post a few months ago that it would be available in the US soon. Do you have any experience with it, or links to reviews / hands-on usage? That would be awesome. Thanks!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though not Hanna compatible, this may help.

I'd recommend reading this thread and another one before purchasing.

lvzx14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd think that would be the next step for the big controller companies, people have been asking for it and have no problem paying.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mastertronic measures phosphate. It measures all 5. None of the tests it performs involve powder. Definitely reliable enough for trends

OP
OP
S

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DJF thanks for the note. My understanding is that Mastertonic uses the Red Sea test for Phosphate, which in my experience and across many others in this forum is nowhere near as accurate as Hanna ULR. I may be missing something so please let me know if I'm mistaken. If mistaken, I'd be delighted if anyone has compared Mastertronic against Hanna and has seen comparable results - that would be great.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DJF thanks for the note. My understanding is that Mastertonic uses the Red Sea test for Phosphate, which in my experience and across many others in this forum is nowhere near as accurate as Hanna ULR. I may be missing something so please let me know if I'm mistaken. If mistaken, I'd be delighted if anyone has compared Mastertronic against Hanna and has seen comparable results - that would be great.
Even if it's not as accurate, if it's consistent, wouldn't that be enough?

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t rely on any test results wholly including my Hanna phos ulr. I rely on them for trends and it does well. As a side note it does often agree with the Hanna.

OP
OP
S

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DJF that's great to hear - I will research the Mastertronic some more. @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal I agree trends are more meaningful than the specific numbers, and there's no replacement for watching the corals themselves to gauge health. Thanks to all for the feedback this is very helpful.

hiluxhobbit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@hiluxhobbit thanks for the note I have never heard of the Reef Factory Smart Tester. After a very quick look, I wasn't able to find any reviews or further information on it, aside from a post a few months ago that it would be available in the US soon. Do you have any experience with it, or links to reviews / hands-on usage? That would be awesome. Thanks!

have not used it. didnt think i need one for now, been manually testing my water maybe once a month recently and my results have been consistently around the 0.05 - 0.07 range

i am at australia and saw parker's reef do a review on it. didn't finish watching it as it doesn't concern me much. cool gadget but i am trying not to complicate my build. not even sure why i should bother with a pH probe and KH Keeper at this point

vid

OP
OP
S

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all - just an updated here - I've seen more reviews of the Reef Factory Smart Tester pop up recently; here is one where the reviewer compared it to the Hanna URL. It appears to be pretty consistent, albeit not exactly the same as the Hanna. I am strongly considering purchasing one for PO4. As I mentioned in my initial post, it's the parameter I'm most interested in testing automatically.

Thanks again all for the input. If I buy one, I'll come back here for a rundown of my experience.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back