Why can't I keep nutrients

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
In spite of how much I feed, I cannot seem to keep nutrients up. I have ran into dinos twice already (although I cannot blame it entirely on nutrients).

Tank: IM25 lagoon

I have 3 pj cardinalfish, tons of hermit crabs, a few snails, and a tuxedo urchin. I feed pellets once a day and 1/8 the cube of mysis every other day.

Filtration: Pretty much the only nutrient control I do is changing filter floss, and I do it every 3 days. I am going to leave it in there for a week or two starting today.

Dosing: TM all for reef. I know that there is some carbon dosing effect to this additive, but can it drive down my nutrients by this much?

Here is my nitrates chart from the beginning of the year. I measure it atleast once a week and do it at the same time. The only times I have any nitrates is when I dose 2.0 ppm equivalent on a daily basis.
Nitrate (ppm) vs. Date.png

Phosphates were sky high for a while after dosing silica. Now they are back to almost undetectable.
Phosphate (ppm) vs. Date.png

On the bright side, alk has been stable for the most part.
Alkalinity (dkh) vs. Date.png

I appreciate any input on this.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up the feeding or reduce the area for bacteria? Try another test to confirm though, your graph just drops off for no reason a few times. Did you feed more or less those periods?

OP
OP
Acros

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
All the drops are immediately after I stopped dosing nitrates or phosphates.

I will increase feeding to twice pellets daily on an auto feeder and once a day 1/8 cube of mysis.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back