Why does my hammer coral look like this??

wil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a new hammer coral I haven’t got any experience with hammers and don’t know what is wrong with it
Thanks

23DFA5BF-69C2-4794-9138-0D46294FA032.jpeg

André Brasil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of his heads died or was already dead. It has what seems to be some hair algae growing in one of the other heads.

How are your water parameters?

OP
OP
wil

wil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity is 1.025
And my nitrate and nitrite are both 0 ppm

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get it off that rock and place it on your sand bed for now and then pull that rock from your tank and scrub all that algae off with a stiff brush in a bucket of saltwater.. algae growing on the corals skeleton will irritate it and cause the flesh to recede

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That center head looks to of had polyp bailout. Clean the algae off your rock as that very well is eritating it, and I’m willing to bet your PO4 is really high and or you could have low PH. Euphyllia do like dirty water to an extent but high PO4, no nitrate, and low PH has been known to cause this.
Euphyllia mostly like medium intensity light and medium to strong flow. Mine are lil wimps and like slow flow but once in a while I turn it up on them to clean any settlement off them. If you see they are open and freely flowing back and forth then you have found a good flow rate.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity is 1.025
And my nitrate and nitrite are both 0 ppm
Coral need nitrate and phosphate. You should test for both in a new tank. Nitrate in the 2 to 10 range is good, phosphate less than 0.1
Like stated above scrub off some of that algae around the base so the coral has some room to expand with out being physically and chemically attacked by the algae. The coral will create a shaded area so the algae should stop encroaching on it. Good light and medium random flow.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back